Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Tab Delimited text file for database testing.

1 yes no i think
    2 ddt functions work on table held in WR not directly on the file.
    The only time the file is modified is when you do the save. The file need not exist before your run as WR will create it for you.
    However you will need to open it even if it does not exist.
    Sorry I do not have WR on my machine but I seem to remember that WR would create the output according to the known file type .exe .txt .csv in the correct format you might like to try this and see what happens and let us know you findings.

3 Use of a proclaimed gui test tool for database testing may not be a good use of the tool. I expect you are testing the ability of you application to modify the database and wish to verify that the application handled the inputs in the designed manner. This is more application testing rather than database testing. Wr can be useful for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tab Delimited text file for database testing.

My AUT has a table which contains data in 3 colums(Number,Name Address).
    I am trying to do
    1)database testing by executing a stored procedure and storing the results into a text file(text1)by using db_write_records.

2)Get the values of the table in the AUT by using tbl_get_cell_data and write that output to another text file(text2) using ddt_set_value function.

3)File compare the two text files.

My questions are
    1)Help for db_write_records says "writes the record set into a text file delimited by tabs". So will the file automatically be created with tabs or do we have to do some codeing for that?

2)Help for ddt_set_value says "data_table_name: The name of the data table. The name may be the table variable name, the Microsoft Excel file or a tabbed text file name , or the full path and file name of the table.The first row in the file contains the names of the parameters. This row is labeled row 0."
    when they say"tabbed text file", I do I save the file(text2) with tab delimited option?

3) Is this approch good to do database testing and can it be done at all?

I know I can use database checkpoints but I am not very familiar with Microsoft Query so want to do it this way.

If this is very confusing, will post my code.
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.