Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

how to set up test environment

Hi,

1. I have installed winrunner on my machine with standalone license. Now i need to start automating , for web testing.
    I want to know what all do i require to setup a test environment similar to production?

2. Is just the url of the website to be tested enough, or is there something else required .
    Basically, what all are the essentials of a testing environment?
    Pls help as i am still learning ...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: how to set up test environment

First of all, you will probably get more results in the WinRunner forum. Secondly, you shouldn't just start testing with a tool and no experience in testing. My suggestion is first you learn the basics of manual testing, then you learn a programming language relevant to the tool you plan on learning such as "C" for the TSL scrip used by WR.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rich, this person has been informed of those concerns on numerous occasions in the WinRunner forum. Thank you for applying the same pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for all your valuable suggestions.
    I certainly have those in mind so I dont think there is a point in repeating same thing again n again.
    But would like to inform you that I have knowledge of language "c" but am not able to figure out , how it can help me in setting up of test environment.
    If u can give me some pointers in that direction, it will be really appreciated .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have found some of the best ways are to get the support to copy and rename the production environment.
    Get the support to build a smaller version of the environment.
    Or the really complicated is to have support extract a subset of production and modify various fields (name address) to secure the data and build the replica.
    You may find you need to be able to capture a particular account for problem resolution diagnostics.
    Most of these tasks can be automated, to some degree, but WR is seldom used to do this as most industrial strength environments incorporate such facilities.