how to detect key presses?

Does anyone have a good function or bit of code for detecting key presses ? (I've searched in this forum and WR user guide but not come up with anything...)

Re: how to detect key presses?

Oops - I should have looked in Merc's knowledge base first. There is stuff in there. I will try it out and update here after that...

Yes the stuff (function = GetKeyStatus) from Merc knowledge base seems to work fine.

Does anyone have the encoded list of all virtual key definitions in TSL - ie defining all the key numbers as VK_xxxx ..., eg

public VK_END = 35;
    etc ?

hey stephen.. plz can u tell me how to search the knowledge base?? i'm lookn for info on key presses too...

Go to Mercury Support site. Click "Knowledge Base." Go from there.

I have had to make an improvement to this function now, but couldn't paste the code. Did I see there are some "code markers" that I should be using to paste sample code? How do I do it please?
    (btw - I did just read/skim the READ BEFORE POSTING - expecting to find this answer, but couldn't find it!)

Hi Stephen,
    To paste code in use the below replacing curly brackets with square ones.

Paste Code

Richard Hunter

(Thanks Richard - so here's the updated function now I know how to paste the code!)

Having used the GetKeyStatus function for detecting key presses for a few days now, I have found that it periodically gives an error "window {active:1} is not found" - presumably because the "active window" is in a state of flux. Therefore I have improved the function by adding a check that the window exists just before it executes the statements which cause this error. It is still possible to get this error (I have had it once since) but I expect this will reduce its frequency a lot (seems to have done so)... (if anyone can suggest how to cure it completely please tell me!).

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">function GetKeyStatus(in vKey)
    auto pid, thread_id, win_desc, hWnd, KeyState, win_log_name, win_full_desc, focused_obj_desc;

win_desc = &quot;{active:1}&quot;;
    if (win_exists(win_desc)==0)
    win_get_desc(win_desc, &quot;&quot;, &quot;&quot;, &quot;&quot;, win_full_desc);
    GUI_map_get_logical_name( win_full_desc, &quot;&quot;, win_log_name, &quot;bla&quot;
    win_get_info(win_desc, &quot;handle&quot;, hWnd);

pid = GetWindowThreadProcessId(hWnd, NULL);
    KeyState=GetKeyState (vKey);

if (KeyState &lt; 0)
    return(0); # Key is pressed
    return (1); # Key is not pressed
    return (-1); # No active window found, so cannot determine key state
    } </pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">