Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Testing while rebooting

So I think I can test and reboot using the Mercury CSO2 library. But what do you do when you're launching the tests from TestDirector from a remote controller?

Does anybody have a good library to upload that includes how to reboot while testing?

Thanks,
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Testing while rebooting

AJ, I think the "kernel32.dll" contains the function to do that. It will probably take a COM object to reboot/restart remotely.

http://www.andreavb.com/API_KERNEL32.html

maybe some help here:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=com+o...&start=20&sa=N

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I once implemented this by writing a dos command line to launch WinRunner in the registry. The place to write this is here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce

Whatever command is written here will be executed upon startup. The command will then be erased, so it won't be executed the next time you start up. You can write to the registry by using the cso2 function create_reg_value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Not claiming it's the best or most elegant way, but what I do is:

1. Test PC is configured to boot as admin user without requiring a password. (If this is a security risk for you, then just ignore this whole message.) If running other than XP, make sure you have a copy of shutdown.exe in your path (you can just copy it from any XP box).

2. WR Script 1 does what it needs to do prior to the reboot condition, then uses file_*() functions to create a .bat file which will start WR with Script 2, and save that .bat file in the user's Startup directory.

3. Last command in WR Script 1 is:</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">dos_system(&quot;call shutdown.exe -r -f -c \&quot;WinRunner rebooting this PC\&quot; -t 10&quot;</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">4. Upon rebooting, batch file launches WR running script 2, which should include code to remove the batch file which script 1 created from the startup directory.
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.&lt;/i] (The Song of Roland)