Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to automate non standard GUI using Winrunner

Hi All,

I have a problem.
    GUI is not a browser based or that of PB, VB. delphi like.

Even keyboard input simulation does not work.

What is the solution ? Has somebody experienced it ?

solution is ******

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to automate non standard GUI using Winrunner

You need to determine how your application was developed, then see if there's a WinRunner addin which supports it. If it's Delphi, there is an addin. You can download the Delphi addin readme file from the Mercury Interactive web site - this will tell you what versions of Delphi are supported. There is a Delphi agent which needs to be compiled in the app.

If there isn't an addin which supports your application, and you're not getting any object recognition, the only viable alternative is analog recording (tracks mouse and keyboard input). The problem with analog recording is that replay depends on things like video card and screen resolution (scripts cannot be reliably replayed on PC's on which they weren't recorded). In my opinion, manual testing is better than trying to automate with analog recording.

It may be the case that WinRunner isn't the best tool for your application.

Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

bpolitzer,

There could be an alternative like using attached text as one of the solution with keyboard input simulation.

I would like to know if anyone has tried or any nearest solution

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Your question is too general to provide a concrete answer.

Is WinRunner able to see individual objects within the application? If you spy on objects with the gui spy, do the individual gui objects (buttons, lists, edits) highlight?

If WinRunner is seeing the objects, but not recognizing the type of object (in other words they're being identified as class object instead of class push_button, class list, ect.), you should be able to write custom replay functions using keyboard input and text recognition. For example you might write a function called my_list_select_item or my_menu_select_item. Do you have a specific example of a gui object in your app which WinRunner is having trouble with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have tested some UNIX XWindow screens (displayed on PC via Exceed) by using text recognition techniques. For instance, I can click on the "OK" button by finding the text "OK" and clicking on it. I can fill in the "User Name" field by finding the text "User Name", getting its coordinates, and adding/subtracting to the x/y coordinates of one of its corners to click in the associated text field, then simply use a type() function to enter the desired text.
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.</i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am testing some MUMPS code appllication. I have to define virtual objects for my testing and WR can recognize some obejcts in the application. Good luck.