Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

win_exists - get active window issue

When my app starts up I then eitehr "window A" is displayed or "window b" is displayed. I need to an additional step if window A is displayed. Currently I am doing

if ( win_exists("winA", timeout) do A

do B

problem is that win_exists gives exception is winA does not exist.

I tried getting name of active window and mapping it to gui map and get window description. But that didnt work as when you get active window you cant specify a timeout. My application can take a while to start and this check is the first thing that needs to be performed
    I have done appropriate things in exception handler but I have to wait for timeout (which is long) and restart the test.

Is there is another way to handle this problem?

[ 01-19-2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: anmol_khanna ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: win_exists - get active window issue

Try doing...

if(win_exists("winA", timeout) == E_OK)
    {
    # do A
    }
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.</i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Charles Reace:
    Try doing...

if(win_exists("winA", timeout) == E_OK)
    {
    # do A
    }
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Thats what i did. didnt mention that in post. It has same problem . I dont want it to wait for timout period.
    also it gives exception message in win_exists so the above does notw work. I tried doing

loop
    wait(3);
    win_get_info ("{class:window, active: 1}","handle",WindowHandle);
    win_get_desc("{class: window, handle:" & WindowHandle & "}","","","",WindowDescription);

rc = GUI_map_get_logical_name (WindowDescription,"", ActiveWindowName, GUI_file );
    #if (ActiveWindowName=="Use this Login"&#0124;&#0124; ActiveWindowName == "Debtors Invoice/Credit Note Entry") break;
    }
    but it doesnt give active window on screen. It gives active window in gui map which is incorrect. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

3 hints:

1. Try win_highlight("winA", 0) instead of win_exists, this is the fastest way of checking if a window or object exists.

2. If you want to use win_exists without waiting the timeout length, do not add the second param - just use win_exists("winA"). If you enter a second param - e.g. win_exists("winA", 0) - WR will add the default timeout (Settings>General Options>Run) to the value in your second param.

3. Try to turn off "Break when Verification fails" in menu Settings>General Options>Run. I assume that this caused the exception messages. Note, that if you turn off this setting, you will have to program the exception handling in your scripts (e.g. what to do if a window does not appear, ...).

Regards,
    Juergen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by bru:
    3 hints:

[SNIP]

3. Try to turn off "Break when Verification fails" in menu Settings>General Options>Run. I assume that this caused the exception messages. Note, that if you turn off this setting, you will have to program the exception handling in your scripts (e.g. what to do if a window does not appear, ...).

Regards,
    Juergen
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Forgot about that - I always have that as my default configuration. It does put the onus on the script writer to check for and handle missing windows/objects.
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.&lt;/i] (The Song of Roland)