Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

WinRunner used in production.

I was wondering if anyone has used winRunner for anything other than a testing tool or at least thought about it. I can see areas where I could automate things in production that would take users less time and save the company a considerable amount of money. Has anyone ever used WinRunner in this way. If so what is your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: WinRunner used in production.

Yes I have. For one example, I create user accounts (not on the OS side but on the application/database side) via the user data GUI of our product. I can then just use a spreadsheet of basic user info and have WR create 30 accounts in maybe 30 minutes, when by hand it would probably take me several hours. I have another script that can test all the logins for each such user and verify that their login and database passwords are still good (and reports each case where they are invalid, outdated, or whatever).

I would not spend money to buy WR just for that sort of task (unless you have a lot of such tasks or a lot of money), but if you already have the tool and see a new place to use it, go for it!
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.</i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I developed one that created Word-based welcome letters to new clients of an online brokerage firm. This code, when deployed averaged about 850 letters a day. This method was used until the developer of the rest of the brokerage stuff got around to coding it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Similar to Reace, I have used this tool to create logins and other pre-settings. We ahve a 13 member team for which each is assigned a specific login with specific settings to test the application. These are manual tests. I use Winrunner to create the Logins and then do the settings for each logins.

This whole process is done within 20min. as otherwise we would have spen (30 x 13) min to do just the settings.
    ---------------------------
    Siva Kumar