Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Web testing using WinRunner

Hi,

I am testing a web based application using WinRunner. My manager wants me to use WinRunner and find the exact time it takes for each page to load. I did write the script, but it keeps failing at different points. The problem is I cannot use a wait statement to wait till the next page loads up and WinRunner is not able to recognize some windows/objects on the page that is coming up.

Has anyone experienced that WinRunner works well one time and doesnt the next time ? Its very inconsistent.

Any suggestions on whether WinRunner is the tool to be used ?

Any help on getting my script to run ?

Thanks.

[ 10-21-2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: mercuryhelp ]

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Web testing using WinRunner

Hi,
    Have you used web_sync()..? You can give large time to web_sync. Initiate timer before web_sync and Stop the timer after web_sync.. Now you can calculate the loading time.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Otherwise you can use the LoadRunner transaction functions (available in WR) to do the measurement so you dont have to mess with the timers. i.e. lr_start_transaction("page_load"). Check you WR help on this as i havent used this myself for a while.

Nikesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I had used web_sync() but it doesnt work since its used for going from one link to another in the same frame and not for a different page. Besides sometimes the application runs fast and sometimes its very slow so I wouldnt really know what "large" time to keep in the web_sync.

I have used start/end_transaction to know between which points I want to record the timings. And to know whether a page comes up on the screen after clicking on the link I am checking if the window or object exists and keeping it in a while loop.

The problem is the window/object name remains the same before and after the page is loaded so I really cannot differentiate when the page actually loaded.

Any suggestions on how to overcome this ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Something must change on the page, unless clicking on the link only refreshes the page to the same state...

As a last resort, you could check the IE status bar (at the bottom of browser) displays 'Done' to verify the page has loaded

Nikesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I did try that too. but the status bar does not display "Done". it shows the client name and that also comes up immediately and not after the whole page is loaded.

I ran the test successfully yesterday, but the timings are very different. When I manually click a link and the new page comes, it takes less no. of seconds (e.g 5 secs). whereas doing the same through winrunner it takes more than double the secs (11 secs).

Why is that so ? Is WinRunner putting some overhead secs ? or is it because i have a lot of checks in my script. i m checking if the window comes up and then checking if the object on the window comes up to be double sure that the page loaded properly.

Any help/ideas appreciated.

Thanks.