Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re - Run of a script with data that can only be created once.

How do I bypass re-running a script with an existing data.

E.g B5555 already exist in the database in the first script.
    If I run the script the second time, how do I have winrunner to bypass remembering this step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Re - Run of a script with data that can only be created once.

Parameterize.
    Use variable data.
    Create data-driven tests.
    This is all described in the WinRunner documentation set plus the Help system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Most of my tests create new data items which need to be uniquely named. I do this by using the current system time. For instance, I might create a text file named "WR-TEST-20030705-110531.txt". (I use a custom function that allows me to parse the value returned by get_time() into a formatted string, in this case in the format "YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS". I could more easily have just used the integer value returned by get_time(), I just like having the value be human readable.)
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.</i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Charles -

These are the 3rd and 4th rows of my script:

win_type ("QLIMS - QAV","AP7894<kReturn_E>");
    win_type ("QLIMS - QAV","B14567<kReturn_E>");

I want winrunner to remember these numbers for the fields and not to insert another data.
    I'm still confused.

Please help!.

[ 08-05-2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: Seyi ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I guess I still do not understand what the exact question is. Perhaps a more complete description of the situation along with a good example would help? I think you are asking how to have your script create the data if it is not on the test system yet, otherwise skip that part of the procedure? If so, then you need to add code to look for the data item in question. If it does not find it, then add it. This will be application dependent, possibly via a database query (db_* functions), or using your application's GUI to run a report or perform a search or whatever. In brief:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"># execute necessary function to determine if data
    # already exists, returning TRUE if it does, FALSE
    # if not.
    if(searchResult == FALSE)
    {
    # execute functions to create/enter the data
    }
    # continue with script</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.&lt;/i] (The Song of Roland)