Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Launching test script thru command line..but...

Well I have a scenario where WINRUNNER session has already been up. Now I want to launch a test script thru command line. I tried and nothing happens. It seems one doesn't have the option where you could launch a script having WR session already up. One can only do that when WR is also launched along with the test script. Is there a way out for my scenario.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Launching test script thru command line..but...

I am not sure what to answer here without better understanding what your actual objective is. But essentially, no, you cannot launch WR from the command line if there is already an active session. If the objective is to be able to launch a specific script while WR is already running, you could do something like:

1. Create/launch a WR script which loops, looking for a text file in some directory. The text file contains the pathname of a script to be run.

2. If the script finds a file there, it reads the pathname, then calls that script (you'd probably need to use an eval statement here). It would also delete, move, or rename the text file (so it doesn't keep running it).
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.</i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

OK I provide you the brief of my scenario. Actually I have a trial version of WR, which when launched, a popup window comes where it alerts that the license is under trial version and I need to supress this popup window so that I could launch the script. Because of this popup window, which needs to be closed manually I am not able to launch my script without manual intervention. So I was thinking of keeping the WR session up and then launch the script. This requirement is temporarily for me, but I need to show something to the management usingthis trial version. Is there a way to suppress that popup window.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hmmmm.... Only thing I can think of trying (outside of calling Merc. support) is to see what happens if you run it in batch mode ("-batch on").
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.</i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by QAAutomation:
    This requirement is temporarily for me, but I need to show something to the management using this trial version.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Couldn't you just explain to management "Here's where I have to manually dismiss this dialog, since it's a trial version. This won't happen when we purchase the product" ?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You are right Joe.

Actually I am trying something that will prove that WR does the need and get a licensed version. And within the trial period I need to have the script that could be used for short time so that we could figure out any other changes needed for our requirement. I don't want to just give the words and get things done. I will feel more comfortable by showing the working stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QAAutomation,

If this popup is really preventing you from demonstrating successful use of WinRunner, I suggest you contact your Mercury sales rep.

Explain the situation, and see if they can arrange an onsite proof-of-concept session with you. Perhaps they can send a sales support person out with a full copy of WinRunner. He or she could install it for the day, help you with your management demo, then de-install it.

Remember, these people want to sell you some software. They'll be happy to help you justify it to your management.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!