Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Automating Java Functionality

Hi,
    This is again with reference to automation of Java application using Winrunner.Does the recording of a normal Java application happens in a different manner than any other web based appln.i was going through the Java Add-in document and found some metheods as:
    Set_aut_Var(),
    Edit_Replay Mode
    Event_Model
    Replay_Interval etc..

Can someone tell me how exactly would i need to start recording a Java application and automate it.Can i not use the various button,list etc functions?Also do i need some extraordinary programming skills to automate an Java application.It mentioned some fns to be used on JFC etc..,Setting value to Java Bean Property.do i need to know which is a bean property or which part is of JFC?I guess i have got confused after reding the document
    Actually i am trying to get hold of a good catch from where i can comfortably start.Any help in this regards is appreciated.
    Regards,
    Shalini

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Automating Java Functionality

Normally you don't need to worry about code behind the UI. In "vanilla" environment all you need to do, is instrument VM which is used by your application and start recording.

However, in the real life there are some situation where you would have to understand some of the GUI methods and properties.
    Some times winrunner can not deal with some object, or does not support an appropriate method, etc... In this situation you will need to use some of the built-in native java functions.
    Winrunner allows user to execute methods native to the application under test.
    java_activate_method will call any public method in your app.

JDC mechanism, to what you are referring in your post, allows you to call arbitrary java code. You can write a class and manipulate it. Used if your app doesn't have a UI, or you want to access a non GUI object.

Winrunner will also provide you with an appropriate utilities like wizards, which will allow you to take a look at what kind of methods/properties are available for any given Object.

To sum it up, majority of your script will 'PROBABLY' be record play-back, in some cases you may need to use java_activate_method.
    If you'll decide to work with non-gui object like EJB or Java Bean directly, you will need JDC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Automating Java Functionality

Thanks a lot for this,i am over with my apprehensions.

Regards,
    Shalini