Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

function or scripts ????

hi,

i have around 31 scripts which does various operations. i'll be calling these scripts from other scripts whenever needed.

My question is: if i change these 31 scripts into a single compiled module with 31 functions, will that be of any use(like speed,memory related issues).

thanks in advance.
    kcm

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: function or scripts ????

Speed and Organization.

The ability to load and unload the "Compiled Modules" when running a large number of "Test Scripts". When you have a large number of tests to run and need access to many Functions you can have many "Compiled Modules" loading and Unload them as needed. (to conserve memory)

Taken from User Manual:

About Creating Compiled Modules
    A compiled module is a script containing a library of user-defined functions that you want to call frequently from other tests. When you load a compiled module,
    its functions are automatically compiled and remain in memory. You can call them directly from within any test.

Compiled modules can improve the organization and performance of your tests. Since you debug compiled modules before using them, your tests will require
    less error-checking. In addition, calling a function that is already compiled is significantly faster than interpreting a function in a test script.

------------------
    cranem451 - cranem@addendum.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'd prefer a script for significant actions on the GUI and functions for everything else.

Note, that no checking functions are allowed in compiled modules.

Another point is that it is often better to use global variables (scalars or arrays) instead of script parameters if the script has arguments. If you use parameters, you will quickly entagle yourself in nightmarish eval("call_close ... statements.This is an aspect of WinRunner that I find most displeasing.

------------------
    Cordialement
    Cordialement

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

When you say no "checking functions" are allowed in compiled modules please give several "simple" examples that work in a test script but don't work in a Compiled Module. I am aware that some thing don't work in Compiled Module's but know one has given me the reson why.

An example would be like this:

# GUI checkpoint of Menu Items
    win_check_gui("WndNotepad", "list1.ckl", "gui1", 1);

What other TSL functions do not work in Compiled Module?

------------------
    cranem451 - cranem@addendum.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I feel having test functionality in scripts or functionality should be decided more from ease of maintenance than anything else. Because from my experiance I find that speed is rarely a priority in running test scripts.

Next about some things working or not working in compiled scripts will never be big issue since there is always a work around for most of the things.

Third talking about using check point functions of winrunner I believe rarely people use these functions especially by those who strongly advocate KeyWord method of test scripting etc.

So we should be planning our script organisation from maintenance point of view.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think any checkpoint that takes a file as an argument won't work.

I've tried with a fully parmetrized db_check statement, which works in a script, but not in a compiled module.

------------------
    Cordialement
    Cordialement

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Let me toss out an example of simple GUI actions that I've turned into functions:

Navigation.

I want to go from Point A to Point B in my application. I can script it, or, if I know that no matter what screen I'm on, I can go to a main point, and navigate from there, I've got one line of code that covers moving from place to place in the app.

------------------
    WinAmp. Llama Tested. Mother Approved.
    Jordan Gottlieb
    President, Charlotte Mercury User Group
    Qualitech Solutions, Inc.
    jgottlieb@qualitechsolutions.com
    Jordan Gottlieb
    Senior Consultant, Orasi Software
    Twitter: @JG_QA