I am a first time tester on a web app using WinRunner. I would like to get from you some tips regarding this type of testing. WHat should I take care about be careful of, reliable tests etc...
Wow, that's such an open-ended request I'm not sure how to answer it really. Since there's not a whole lot of background you're giving on what type of WinRunner training you've received, I guess here's a short list of things to think about:
1) get WinRunner training.
2) register at the Mercury Interactive Customer Support site (http://support.mercuryinteractive.com/)
3) get WinRunner 7.0
4) make sure you have WebTest add-in loaded before scripting/running scripts
5) make sure you have WebTest patch WR70P12 installed.
6) always invoke WinRunner BEFORE launching your browser.
7) remember to save your GUI map whenever you make changes, script new areas, etc.
8) parameterize for data driven tests as much as you can.
9) remember that there are usually lots of ways to go about do things using TSL.
10) count on coding using TSL rather than counting on record and playback.
11) use comment fields generously.
12) the more you use it, the more you learn.
13) if you're testing using WinRunner on Netscape 6+, you're out of luck (for the time being anyway).
That might be a start... If you have any specific questions, ask away! Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!