Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is there any way to generate a standalone executable for the scripts being created?

WinRunner help required:

I have written few test scripts, in which case I need to generate a standalone executable file that would allow all my test scripts to run, is there any solution for this to work it out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Is there any way to generate a standalone executable for the scripts being created?

It would be nice if there was a way to create an executable in WinRunner, but there isn't.

From what I know - WinRunner must be installed on the system that the test is going to take place, and have access to the drive that the tests to be executed are stored.

WinRunner does have the ability to run the scripts from the command prompt (CH.30 in the User's guide)- so at the least this will give you the chance to create a DOS-type batch/cmd file. The test cases can then be launched in turn, but that still won't give you any more functionality than having the scripts set up in a batch run from within WinRunner. TestDirector does have the ability to launch WinRunner on remote machines that WinRunner is installed on an schedule the times of these runs if necessary - this is in the Enterprise addition.

Maybe if you could enlighten on the reason for the need of the standalone executable for the WinRunner scripts we might be able to help to find a solution.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Is there any way to generate a standalone executable for the scripts being created?

Not to speak for preetis, but the reason I would have loved to have a non site license ability to launch tests is for the customer.

Esp when there are some really difficult time consuming situations where customers have code failure. This is also where QA has an opportunity to be proactive. Along with a CD of the so called new and "better" code the customer would have an opportunity (at no additional expense) to run a few smoke tests in thier environment.

This would be a great "risk managment assesment" for them, wouldn't you agree??
    Additionally this could be an effective bridge for a field debug for norrowing down recreates, along with harvesting debug information on site.

I don't think there is a huge need for this, but I do think this ability would increase QA visibility. I also think this ability would ultimately sell MORE functional licenses down the road. Esp when a new "potential" customer observes how well a script from an automated tool vendor runs.

Of course that would mean an automated tool vendor like Mercury Interactive or Segue would have to embrace a new market model.

Because up till now the strategy is clear. Make the customer pay by architecting functionality via synthetic modular isolation. When the customer needs more make them pay! Via a new plug in or another $product.

That works but only up to a point .. esp in functional testing. Personally I envision Segue starting to move into this space, because thier market cap (compared to MI) is so horrible (they have less to loose).

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
    Sincerely
    Richard Weth
    Sr. QA Engineer