Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Points for Confirmed Friends

WinRunner vs QARUN and SQA

Dear Reader,

I am currently evaluating 3 tools:
    WinRunner
    Rational Robot
    QaRun

The differences between the tools aren't very big.
    I would like to know what your expierences are with the tools mentioned above!

Thank you for your time!!
    Mark Bruinink

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: WinRunner vs QARUN and SQA

Hi Mark,

I have experience of all these tools, mainly record/playback of application user acceptance testing on VB and Powerbuilder GUIs.

WinRunner has close links with the application under test, and 'understands' the application, its windows, objects, etc. I have found it quite easy to use but also needs a good understanding of the underlying scripting language. Good for application testing. Also good links with TestDirector which holds test plans and results.

Rational Robot is very similar to WinRunner, therefore is good for application testing. I found it maybe easier to use for the sort of testing I was performing. I didn't have to get too much into the underlying code, which is not my forte. I also liked the defect management module, which outshines what WinRunner offers.

QARun does not have the close links with the application under test, and therefore doesn't understand the application in the way that WinRunner or Robot does. QARun is good for general testing.

Hope my brief evaluation helps! Please ask any other questions as you wish.

Regards
    John Dimmock

Points for Confirmed Friends

I am also in the process of evaluating testing tools, and having seen vendor demos and used evaluation copies of both WinRunner and Rational Robot, I found that WinRunner is far more sophisticated than Rational for creating and managing large, re-usable suites of tests, especially data-driven tests. WinRunner also does much better when dealing with applications that use non-standard Windows controls. For simple testing, however, Rational may be the better tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I also am evaluating these tools. It seems to me that all of them have the same basic abilites, but WinRunner is the easiest to use. I think if you were going to uses all of the Rational Tools(Purify,Quntify, etc..), Robot would be the way to go. Other wise I choose WinRunner

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What application do you need to test?
    Client\Server?
    Browser? -> IE\NS 6?
    Java Application?

Both tools are good but one tool has strength over the other when dealing with certain environments

Steve Bertun