Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Linking requirements to test design steps.

Hello

I'm looking into using test director on a future project and was wondering if there is a way to link requirements to test steps.

My requirements are currently in the following hierarchy...

Subject
    -------Requirement1 (generates test)
    ---------------------Requirement2 (generates test step)

I want to do my reporting at a test step level as the test steps reflect directly the requirements at Requrement2 level.

Is this possible using TD, and if so how do I set it up.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Linking requirements to test design steps.

Hi,

From my experience i think you can link the requirements to a test step i.e while editing the test step, one can attach the doc direclty to the test step.
    (OR)
    Not sure if i am correct.........
    In the test lab while execution( i think you are aware of the icon we click to take the screen shot)you can click on the icon twice it will ask for URL: and the links,according to your requirement you can attach documents there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for your answer, but maybe I didn't phrase my question correctly.

What I want to do is generate my reports and graphs to the depth of the test step level rather than the default test level.

Currently If I have a test with 10 steps and one of those steps fails the test will also fail and consequently all requirements linked to that test are updated to a status of fail (as requirements are linked to the test and cannot be linked to the test step).
    In this scenario I would like to be able to report that the test level requirement has failed but x number of the step level requirements have passed.
    Similarly I would like to be able to produce test analysis to show that the test failed but x number of test steps within that test passed.

Just wondered if this level of granularity is possible and if so how can I achieve it?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am not sure about your question and i wonder why test step level of granularity is required........

A test case covers only a scenario at the most 2 to 3 scenarios if required(depending on the tester who writes the test cases)....
    For example if you consider a test with 2 scenarios and
    No of steps to cover first scenario ----- 28
    No of steps to cover second scenario ---- 10

you got the first scenario passed and almost the second scenario and the last but one test step fails.......
    or
    you got the first scenario passed and almost the first step of second scenario fails........
    What makes the difference.....
    i wonder what is that you are going to do with the no. of test steps passed or failed.
    This is what i understood from my work environment.
    Let me know why exactly you require it and what is that you can access from the graphs(or reports).
    Is there any graphs already existing in your work environment.

Thanks.....