Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Quality Center License Management Questions

Greetings,

I hope that this finds everyone doing well and surviving the summer heat.

For those whose companies are using TestDirector / Quality Center, I have a question for you. How are you managing the license keys for Quality Center?

Here at my company we have 30 Quality Center licenses. The problem is, there are more and more users requesting access to the tool every day. While we havenít run into too many problems yet where people canít get in because all of the licenses are in use, this is something that we want to avoid if at all possible.

So how is your company doing it?

Beyond just the license availability issue, how is your company managing the costs of the licenses? Are you having each group that has users who access Quality Center buy their own licenses? How is that being managed?

I really, really appreciate your assistance and any insight that you can share.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Regards,
    Mark
    * Mark J. Herbert
    * MarkJHerbert@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Quality Center License Management Questions

Hi Mark,

Some companies manage their licensing per project, that is, one project purchases the required number of licenses and the other projects do the same thing.

This is the option I have seen in several companies.

Regards,
    Clemente

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have the following sugesstions

1. Restrict the Session time of the user. If a user, get logged in and leave for a long break, the licence time is wasted. This time could be utilised by another requesting user. This feature can be introduce by site admin.

2. During using the TD, if you close the browser, instead of logging out of the TD. The TD will keep the session on. This usually happens in a Intranet setup, where the security setting are slightly relaxed. The People tend to opt the easy way to come out of the TD by closing the browser. Option 1 , will be very use full in this case where the session will be killed if the user does not perform any action.

3. Distribute the Module views to different set of users. In TD, there are essentially four modules Requirements,Test Plan, Test Lab and Defects. Tester may need access to all modules. A developer may only need the defects and may at times Requirements. The idea is , every user does not require every module at all time. Plan and create group and attach each user to a group.

4. TD can be brought in terms of licences like 10 concurrent licences to view all modules and 20 concurrent to use only defects. This is a typical senario, where the developers are interested in defects only. Plan ur purchase of licences. I believe there are pretty expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the following sugesstions

1. Restrict the Session time of the user. If a user, get logged in and leave for a long break, the licence time is wasted. This time could be utilised by another requesting user. This feature can be introduce by site admin.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the method we use. Many users never log out. By setting a 1 hour timeout, we've avoided purchasing additional licenses.

Also, use the administration tool to check the license usage over time. This will give you an idea of how often you get close to using all of the licenses and provide the info you need for license planning.

Regards,
    glen accardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I believe 1 Hour is a very long time. Restrict it to 20 Min are less. Some user login to TD for getting some information only. Say, a developer will be checking for any defects assigned to him or a BA want to do small update in a requirement. Only a tester work for long hours for creating test cases, raising defects. As long as , any user is active, the TD will not log him out.