Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to handle Test Variants?

What is the best way to handle variations across tests? I have looked through the TD forum and haven't found any hits on this question.

As an example, how would you handle the test plan and test execution for a single test that needs to be executed many times. This could be due to different languages, or browsers, etc.

Copying the tests x times is a maintenance nightmare. Adding a custom field to Test Sets makes management tougher - can't easily tell when all variants have passed.

Would appreciate your thoughts..

Thx,
    S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to handle Test Variants?

Do you want TD to do this for you, or can the automated tool control it? I'm thinking it could be done as a simple test inside a if/else loop which counts down or up a certain number of iterations. Reporting back to TD can be done within the actual test with an incrementing variable used as the Step number, so that each iteration is a step in the TD report. Steps within the actual test could be a combo of the test iteration number and the actual step number.
    There are several variations on this theme, probably more efficient, but this is the way I would approach it.

No one method is ever the "BEST", some are better than others.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rich,
    This is for manual testing. Today testers are creating multiple copies of the tests every time the data changes.

I'm looking for the way that will create the least amount of maintenance effort, be usable when running tests, and have a clear record of what passed in the test lab.

Subee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Best would be that you will move such information out from test case into run.

In this scenario you end up having two difficulties:
    1. TD/QC does not support passing default values from test set to run
    2. You will need to build your reporting from scratch as none of the default graphs etc. will dig into run level AND you need to rewrite Req coverage report as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Subee, I am struggling with this same problem, am new to TD. I am currently creating template tests for (parts of) test cases which I need to run many times, possibly with different values for parameters. In these templates I have used test parameters. For each test variant I make a new testcase which calls this template test. For example I have a template test for "login" (with parameters "username" and "password") and then there I have made testcases "login as admin" and "login as user". When the steps of the login procedure changes, I only have to update the template test. When creating a test set in the Test Lab (haven't done that yet), I will select all these test variants (not the templates), they are separate tests. I haven't worked out yet whether it's smarter to enter the parameter values in the test design phase or in test lab.