When someone is working on a test it will be locked, if the person does not sign off correctly, if the machine crashes, or sometime just to **** you off, the lock will stay on. The timeout for it is defaulted to 10 Hours. to check or change this:
1. Log into the Site Administrator.
2. Navigate to TD Servers tab.
3. Click on the "Lock Timeout" link.
4. Enter a new value.
For newer versions of QC goto the Site configuration Menu and check the Lock Timeout setting.
From Mercury Knowledge Base:
For TestDirector 7.2 and below, you need to delete the lock from the LOCKS table in the Project Administrator on the TestDirector Web Server.
For TestDirector 7.5 and above, this is done from the Site Administrator.
Starting in TestDirector 8.0, you can disconnect the user through the Site Administrator and it will also delete any object that is locked by that user. Please refer to this article for directions : Problem ID 18489 - Can the TD admin forcibly disconnect users from TestDirector.
1. Bring up the Project Administration Utility on the TestDirector 7.2 Web Server.
2. Highlight your project.
3. Click on the "Connect" button on the toolbar (or simply double-click on the project).
4. Expand the database to view all the tables by either double-clicking on the database or by clicking on the "+" next to the connected database.
5. Click on the LOCKS table.
6. You should see a reference to your locked object. You can delete the rows in the table by putting the following SQL in the edit field on the SQL tab.
delete from LOCKS
Note that this will delete all entries in the LOCKS table. If you have multiple locks and just want to delete the problem lock, then use a conditional statement to isolate a specific record.
DELETE FROM LOCKS WHERE LK_CLIENT_MACHINE_NAME = 'MachineName'
7. Click on the "Run SQL" button next to the SQL edit field.