Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re upload of scripts to TD from Excel

Hi,

Hope someone can point out an obvious error i am making here!

I am uploading scripts into the Test Plan area for Test Director and so far this process has worked completely fine.

However one functional area needed major rework in the scripts after the initial upload. The amendments were carried out in the master copy of the script excel sheet. I uploaded these on the same path as the previous upload (all naming conventions of the scripts the same and no new scripts)expecting the new version of the scripts to overwrite what was already there. However on investigation we discovered this was not the case.

Does anyone know if TD expects all subsequent changes to scripts after the initial upload to be undertaken manually within TD? Or have i done something wrong with the second upload?

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Re upload of scripts to TD from Excel

additional info:

Appears some scripts have been overwritten - unable to establish a pattern as yet but any where the number of steps has been reduced the upload is not deleting the excess steps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Re upload of scripts to TD from Excel

This should not be surprising. The export process is executing a series of insert|updates to the TD database. It doesn't delete first, then insert new.
    Test steps are in a separate DB table from the test case header information and use the testcase_id and step_id to uniquely identify steps. step_id is not the step name or step #.

If you initially sent in:
    TC01,STEP01
    TC01,STEP02
    TC01,STEP09
    Then, dropped STEP02 and re-exported, you should get:
    TC01,STEP01
    TC01,STEP03
    TC01,STEP09
    TC01,STEP09 <- this is left over from first insert

I've always found it good practice to drop the test cases from TD before re-exporting a second time. Once the test case has been executed, no longer export it. Just do manual updates.
    Resistance is futile.

SuperK