I am using Test Director 8.0, When ever I am exporting the Test cases from excel sheet to Test Director - all the test cases are exporting properly. But some test cases are uploaded along with question marks (?) where ever test case has single quote (') or double quotes (").
Example: In Excel my test case is having "Customer" the same thing is uploading into Test Director as ?Customer? .
Is there any solution to get as it is excel sheet.
I don't know what version of the TestDirector Export Wizard you're using, but mine (184.108.40.2064) does not allow export of tests with test names containing any of the following characters : \/:%'*?<>|"
When you create a test in TestDirector, you're not able to enter these characters either.
This seems to be a TestDirector "limitation".
I am also using same wizard. Test Director Export Wizard 220.127.116.114. It is allowing to export the test cases which have special symbols like (' , ",*,bullets, etc) but these all symbols are replaced with Question mark (?) in TD. Test Director version is 8.0.
In which field of the TestDirector test entity do you have these quotes? My trials were on the name of the test. Having gone through the VBA code of the Excel wizard, I can assure you that these characters are disallowed in the name of the test.
I had run into this problem with an earlier version with the quotes being uploaded as question marks.
We found out that it was related to the font and the type of single and double quote used in the Word Document. Word/Excel allows a setting (that I can't remember off the top of my head) to substitute "fancy" characters for the standard ones expected from the import of tests into Test Director.
An example is if you selected the Times New Roman Font - and look at the following character keystrokes (either by typing them in, or viewing through the Character Map applet)
U+0022 is listed as Question Mark
U+0027 is listed as Apostrophe
Those are standard ASCII representations of the characters. Now scroll down to the bottom of the font and view the following characters:
U+201C is listed as Left Double Quotation Mark
U+201D is listed as Right Double Quotation Mark
U+2018 is listed as Left Single Quotation Mark
U+2019 is listed as Right Single Quotation Mark
I can almost bet when you look in the Word/Excel document you are importing, single and double quotation marks are shown as the latter 4 examples and not the first two examples.
There is a couple of ways to implement a correction to this. The easiest way was to go into the VBA behind the Word/Excel document that is related to the importing and put a subroutine that was called prior to pushing the info into Test Director that went through the document and substituted the offending characters with the base characters.
It took us a while to figure out what was going on, and it was the Word Documents we were getting back that pegged it to us eventually. We then found the same issue in the Excel sheets we were using for other test cases.
Hope this is your issue, and if it isn't, hopefully it will point you in a direction that gets a resolution to your issue.