SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Need recommendation - 1 dB with all projects OR dB per project

I need some advice on the best model of implementation for a TD database. My dilema is this: use 1 project database for all my Products/Projects OR have a project database per Product/Project.

This leads into the issue of how to organize the data for a company with multiple products/projects, and how best to report on it.

I have used other defect tracking tools (PVCS Tracker) that contain the data all in one database and then you set fields for Product, Project/Version, and Functionality. From this you setup rules for the tool so that as you drill down (Product -> Project) your functionality particular to that product is shown (just like linking tables in a database and writing the SQL to only get the 'required' data). TestDirector seems to be a bit weak in this area.

I know using the Acctuate module you can do cross project reporting, but would like to avoid this if possible. The issue of standardization across products/projects for defect tracking is driving this.

Any advice from the guru's of TD? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Need recommendation - 1 dB with all projects OR dB per project

Hello !

I am working on testDirector for multiple project.
    We affect one Testdirector domain per project and one database for each project.

We use only one data base server for all of those project.

The actuate module is equivalent to Busines object. Sow you can consolidate your data forall of your project.

Otherwise it is possible to use the Testdirector API to retrieve your data on Excel or other product.

You can acces directly to the database with an ODBC driver or a linked table on Microsoft access.

Have a good luck

Franck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you use 1 database for all projects, you have a limited number of requirements per project of 676. So if you're using the Requirements module within TestDirector, you should be aware that there is a hard limit to the number of requirements you can have per project.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Following on the reply from halegoi:
    <<<I am working on testDirector for multiple project.
    We affect one Testdirector domain per project and one database for each project.

We use only one data base server for all of those project.>>>

Create a template project database with the required customization for project, product version and functionality. Customize accross consistent fields only. Add generic fields to capture data that would be specific to projects.
    Create project databases off this template - that way you will have consistency.
    Remember that you will not get it right the first time, and it will take the course of time to improve as everyone gets familiar with the customizations.
    Kashif