Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Multiple test platforms

Can anyone tell me how TD caters for situation where I might want to run exactly the same tests on two different platforms.

e.g Windows 2000 IE6 and Windows NT IE5.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Multiple test platforms

You can skin a cat many ways with TD. How to you do this without TestDirector?

How do you record or account that the same test has been run on two platforms in your current environment? Do you run two identical suites of tests, one for each platform? Are your tests platfrom specific or are they cross platform?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We keep it all in our heads. We know this is not the best thing to do which is why we are looking at tools.

So does TD have the functionality to manage test execution on multiple platforms effectively?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes it does...certainly far better than keeping it in your head.

Get yourself an eval copy and play around with it. When you have more questions come back here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have one. I have 'played' with it.

Does anyone know the answer to the original question?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I answered your question. I said, Yes. Maybe you wanted it spoon fed? Or maybe you have questions about how to do this that you hope someone will guess?

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Create your tests.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Create Test Sets for each platform.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Run your tests.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Report.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You did not answer my question!

My Question
    Can anyone tell me how TD caters for situation where I might want to run exactly the same tests on two different platforms.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Your Answer
    Yes

??????

However you have now answered, thank you. It is a shame you had to insult me aswell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are different ways to implement execution of the same tests on different platforms:
    1. Create test set for each platform, containing same tests. In this case you can specify the platform in test set name (ie ..._Win2K) or to create a user-defined field (for Test Set) that will contain the platform name.

2. Create one test set that will contain several instances of each tests, each instance for specific platform. In this case you will need user-defined field that will hold the platform specification (this user-defined field should be created for Test in Test Set)

3. Create 1 test set with 1 instance of all tests. Manage platform on Run level (ie: when tester starts to execute the test, he specifies on which platform the test is executed)

The disadvantage of the last one is that you don't have the clear picture in execution grid on whether the test was executed on all platforms. You will have to create report for it. Advantage is probably the easiness of creation. If you have really big number of configurations (like: 4 platforms x 3 browser types x 5-7 browser versions), then you can use this method.

The first 2 methiods are basically the same. The first one is preferable if you have a lot of tests (in this case separate test set for each configuration is prefered, as you will get a better view of what was executed and what not). The second method is better if you have fewer tests to execute.

In any case the data collected during execution on different platforms is saved, and you will be able to see the summery reports on it.

Is this the answer to your question?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks

That is a very useful answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We have recently implemented Test Director and are currently scratching our heads a bit on how to handle running the same tests on different platforms.

Using the methods suggested by Kirah, how do you handle test results of the same test on different platforms? For example if Test1 in a Win2K test set fails, but then Test1 in the WinXP test set passes, the linked requirement will show the requirement as 'passed'.

Is there any way around this other than duplicating the tests in the test plan (by putting them under each OS) and linking each of them to the requirement?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast