Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Filtering requirements on a parent

What I am wanting to do is to create a filter that will show a parent requirement and all of it's children. I did not want to have to use the reqID's as this would mean changing the filter everytime a child is added. Does anyone know a way of setting a filter to get a parnet and all of it's children? Is it possible to filter on the numeration? For example filter on requirements numeration 4.* which would get the parent requirement numbered 4 and all of it's children.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Filtering requirements on a parent

Are you trying to create a report or just want to be able to look at a parent and all it's children without having to bother with the other Req structures? If the latter simply use the Zoom In tool. Select the parent, click the Zoom In Icon and voila` - you only see those that relate to the parent. Unfortunately if you want a report, the parent is identified by the Paragraph - but that field is not filter enabled.

------------------
    www.turbotester.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am also interested in generating a Report (Document) based upon a Parent requirement including all of its child requirements. Is there a way available with the Document Generator to do this?

It seems that the filtering/sort options do not support this approach to report/document generation.

Thanks for any advice!

------------------
    Alex
    Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I wrote a macro in MS Project to import Requirments from TestDirector.

It can get all of the requirements or it can get all child requirements based on the "root" reqid.

At the moment it only imports the name of the Requirment, but it's possible to modify to get other info. I'm adding the ability to get the test coverage, but this isn't done yet.

The code is a bit of a hack as I developed it as a way to learn the OTA and VBA, but I'm willing to share if anyone really wants it. heh..maybe you can help me test it

Where can I upload it to make it available?

BTW: It was designed to work with 7.2 and has not been tested on 7.5+

------------------

[This message has been edited by EAS (edited 03-04-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ah, yes you are correct. I didn't even notice the ability to attach. I'm out of the office at the moment, but when I get back I'll post the file.

The OTA for TestDirector is actually pretty easy to use. I used a treeview control on a project form and populated it based on the given "Root" reqid and recursed it's req.getchildrenlist to build the rest of the tree. Once I had everything I wanted in a treeview control I then just parsed it out to Project as tasks. Because you have full access to all of the fields in TD through the OTA you can pretty much build anything you want.

You could also do it all through SQL. I chose the OTA because anyone with a userid and access to the TD server can use the app. SQL is a lot faster to execute if this is a concern.

[This message has been edited by EAS (edited 03-06-2003).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hey EAS,

Thanks for offering a copy of the script software to run under MicroSoft Project.

I would be interested in looking at how you approached it. I noticed that QAForums allow for attachments to these postings. Can you reply and post the necessary files along with some explanation?

I would prefer to be able to generate documents on a subset of the requirements database just like the Report Tool allows to report only on the selected parent and child requirement items. I am surprised that the Document Generator function does not support the same approach.

After reviewing the manuals and help info, it seems that one approach is to create a attribute value with a Grouping Number. The grouping number would allow for portions of the requirements information to be included. I think if a future version of TD allowed for documents to be generated based upon selected folders and child items, this would be the simplest and most effective, however.

Thanks for offering your VBA software for review!

------------------
    Alex
    Alex