Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

VIEWSTATE variable handling in .NET application

Hi every one,

Greetings...!!

I am working on recording(Using VuGen 9.0) a business flow in of .NET application.

The below are the concerns:
    1. There are around 14(fourteen) _VIEWSTATE variables, which are sent back and fourth between Client and Server, while recording the biz flow. And all of them are dynamic in nature.I did WRSP for those _VIEWSTATE values which are sent by the Server to the client and sent back to the server in subsequent calls. So there is no issue with them.
    2. Now, there is 1 particular _VIEWSTATE variable, which is dynamically generated by the client itself and pushed to the server(I am saying this because, under TREE View -> Thumbnails -> Client Request, this value is pushed to the server for the first time, no where else i can see this _VIEWSTATE) along with other data(which is static). This particular variable is changing once per every 1 hour or so. I thought there is some logic(algorithm) for its creation and contacted the developers for the same. I found that, developers are not aware of this variable and its a hidden field which is generated by the .NET frame work itself. So no knowledge of algorithm to create the _VIEWSTATE variable.

So, my questions are :

1.Does any one of you faced this kind of situations, while dealing with .NET applications.
    2. If so, is there any standard C code to recreate the _VIEWSTATE variable?
    3. Not the server? Not the client? Then where else and how this variable is created?

Any ideas ? Please guide me...Thanks a lot for your time...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Amar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: VIEWSTATE variable handling in .NET application

Please read and comply with the posting instructions here:

http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...e=0#Post117445
    Unless you are writing a compiler, strtok is NOT the answer.
    See: http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...=541641#542222

QAF is still an exercise in self-sufficiency! (Thank JB!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

1. What version of LoadRunner (LR) or PerformanceCenter (PC) are you using? (specify which tool LR or PC)
    (Load Runner 9.0)

2. What is the protocol you are recording?
    (Web(HTTP/HTML),Web_Submit_Data)

2.1 If .NET, which version of .NET does the app require?
    N/A
    2.2 If .NET, which version of .NET do you have installed?
    N/A
    3. If HTML - are you using HTML-Advanced with URLs or,
    (indicate yes/no)
    NO
    4. If URL mode:
    - Concurrent groups, or
    - Without Concurrent groups?
    (N/A)

5. Which LoadRunner/PerformanceCenter feature (FPs) or service packs are you using?
    (LR 9.0)

6. VuGen Recording - are you using Old or New Recording Engine?
    (New)

7. What kind of LoadRunner license do you have -
    - Subscription,
    - Perpetual,
    - Permanent/Unlimited
    - Virtual User days, or
    - Evaluation?
    (choose the one that fits your license model - (Permanent/Unlimited))

8. If subscription, is subscription current or expired?
    (N/A)

9. What platform(s) (PCs) and Operating Systems (Windows-XP, etc.)? Include version and service packs (SP1 or 2, etc.)
    (Windows XP, SP2)

10. If you have filed a service request with HP/Mercury, what have they told you at this point with respect to your issue?
    (NO)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As the developers indicated the viewstates are usually passed back as hidden fields. I would probably do a couple recordings to make sure that I haven't missed where the viewstate you are worried about is coming back.

Remember, when LR creates all the logs it breaks up long lines. "ABCDEF" can become "ABC" (newline) "DEF". Here a search for "CDE" will fail.

---------------------------------------------

In general if there is a weird value that is being generated on the client side you have the developers give you the code that is generating the value and you translate it into C.
    Unless you are writing a compiler, strtok is NOT the answer.
    See: http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...=541641#542222

QAF is still an exercise in self-sufficiency! (Thank JB!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I was able to sort out the issue with the help of a collegue. I missed to search for the missing _VIEWSTATE under the Tree View -> Server Response -> Body -> Form(which is recieving the missing _VIEWSTATE variable).

So when I did the WRSP for this, under the Body of Server Response, script is running fine.

Its all about patience and keen ness to explore things..!!

Thank you All...!