Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Log Validating with LR?

1. What version of LoadRunner (LR) or PerformanceCenter (PC) are you using? (specify which tool LR or PC)
    LR 9.0
    2. What is the protocol you are recording?
    HTTP/ Web Services but N/A for this question
    2.1 If .NET, which version of .NET does the app require?
    1.1, 2.0
    2.2 If .NET, which version of .NET do you have installed?
    3. If HTML - are you using HTML-Advanced with URLs or,
    No
    4. If URL mode:
    n/a
    5. Which LoadRunner/PerformanceCenter feature (FPs) or service packs are you using?
    VuGen
    6. VuGen Recording - are you using Old or New Recording Engine?
    9.0, should be new
    7. What kind of LoadRunner license do you have -
    Subscription
    8. If subscription, is subscription current or expired?
    10/09
    9. What platform(s) (PCs) and Operating Systems (Windows-XP, etc.)? Include version and service packs (SP1 or 2, etc.)
    W2K3 SP1, WXP SP2
    10. If you have filed a service request with HP/Mercury, what have they told you at this point with respect to your issue?
    N/A

I'm testing an app that generates pre-formatted flat files. I'd like to use load runner to perform a file open, log parse by cursor positions, that I define. and then evaluate those parsed values against some set of hardcoded values.

I'm either looking for some code snippets to do this in LR, or a open source log parser that is similar, I did a search for text file parser in sourceforge but it returned 1164 results. Since this forum is loaded with experienced professionals, I want to leverage some of the collective brain power within

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Log Validating with LR?

Mark, I'm curious. What you are describing sounds like functional testing (and doesn't appear to have a load testing component). Can you clarify, please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I echo clarification please - per Peter.

And then there is something here you may find useful:
    http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...age=0&vc=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

That's correct, I use LR for every testing task whether it be functional, automated or performance. When I can get it to brew me a Trappist ale, I'll use it for that too. =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hmm. LR is a VERY poor choice for functional testing. Speaking from experience, I found it difficult enough just to code around exceptions in the application so the load test would run. I can't imagine using it for pure functional testing. Apart from the fact that it isn't a GUI tool (which obviously isn't an issue for the requirement you are describing), it lacks all the functions that a true functional test tool has as its "bread and butter."

Best of luck with your task. You may find code fragments, but the possibility is rather remote I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well you can do parsing with C language, i had sometime back seen couple of artivles on the net if i am remember correctly but that was some kind of xml parser with C.Its been pretty long time.
    Well you can always use the c language for parsing or still better you can use java with LR(Pretty good choice compare to C).
    Again parsing it with shell or perl is more easy compare to other languages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Jake & Peter, the data within the link doesn't address my inquiry but it did give me some ideas and I bookmarked it for future use.

-Mark