Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Intermediate Loadrunner Training

I'm in a bad mood.

My request to attend Mercury World / HP Universe has been DEEEE-NIED!

Having taken all (literally every single one of them) of the "here's how you use Loadrunner for the very first time" classes, I'm interested in learning more about Loadrunner than just the basics (winsock, J2EE diagnostics, Advanced Analysis, etc).

I think I can put together a decent script that works, but in terms of the knowledge that is exhibited by James or Jake, I'm very far from that level.

The problem is that there is *nothing* out there for intermediate or advanced level training. Going on Mercury's website yields many training courses, but they are mostly beginners courses. Those that are intermediate are all CBT based -- and let's face it, CBTs suck. You can't ask them questions, get clarification or see a second example. In essence, you can't learn. Mercury partner companies don't do any better -- their websites have the same classes Mercury's do (not a coincidence, I know, but it was worth a shot).

So aside from going on a tirade, my questions are these...

Do you know of any place to get good intermediate level training?
    Why do you think there's so much beginner Loadrunner training but no intermediate training -- seems odd to me.
    Has anyone here ever gotten intermediate level training, and where/how did you find it?

Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Intermediate Loadrunner Training

Your challenge in unfortunately a common one and one complicated by the fact that the Mercury license has been openly hostile to the creation of third party training or books for years. Witness the huge volumes of third party material that does not exist on the bookshelves of your local bookstore. Thank you Mercury legal, Mercury gets the monopoly on the ability to create and the revenue associated with the training! This has what has hamstrung the VARs from developing training were we are very capable. What AJ has been able to accomplish here is almost miraculous in this context, but share some sushi and a beer with him sometime and he's probably share with you the convoluted path which resulted in the unique ability that he has pulled off.

We (PowerTest) have conducted workshops on process and specific protocol types (such as Winsock) for customers to fill in this mid level and high level training gap, but these are hands on mentoring. Think of a college lecture with lab component as an example of this: Google "winsock bbq" for a humorous example. Other VARs have likely conducted similar workshops for customers. [advertising] Come sit with us for a week and we'll have you building Winsock scripts to represent multiplayer games. Two weeks, constructing your own development templates. Three weeks, writing your own queries to bypass the analysis engine to get to the detail you want [\advertising].

Hello HP!

I am hopeful that one of the benefits which come from the merger will be a more rational license type which allows for the creation of third party training and third party books. We likely will not know for sure for another 18 months as HP consumes Mercury and we see if any indigestion occurs. At the end of that time we'll also likely see the secondary market for training, books and the like emerge if the license changes to be more in line with other commercial software licenses.

James Pulley, PowerTest
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes