Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Loadrunner correlation problem

My first post here, be nice

1. What version of LoadRunner or PerformanceCenter are you using?

Loadrunner 8.1

2. What is the protocol you are working with?

HTTP

3. Which LoadRunner/PerformanceCenter feature or service packs are you using?

Virtu User Gen

4. What kind of LoadRunner license do you have - subscription, perpetual, Virtual User days, or evaluation?

perpetual

4.1 If subscription, is subscription current or expired?

5. What platform(s) and Operating Systems? Include version and service packs.

Windows XP Pro

6. If you have
    filed a service request with Mercury, what have they told you at this point with respect to your issue?

Not yet.

I recorded a payment submission form, and can't play it back. Of course, I tried scan for correlation and found two differences. I correlated two places by putting web_reg_save_param function to capture dnamic values. But I still can't play my sript back, the error msg is below:

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

Source Error:

Anyone can help me on this to let my script play back? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Loadrunner correlation problem

I've seen this one before. You need to do your correlation very carefully. You could have multiple viewstate occurrences. You maybe getting the first occurrence but you may need the second or the third. Anyway, I do not remember all of the details, but I do know that this is a correlation issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ling,

Are you recording in HTML or URL? That may become important. This appears to be .NET. Is it? If so, (assuming not a think client - but browser-based) ...

Try HTML Advanced recording - a script with Explicit URLs.

This will expose additional items that may require correlation, such as EVENT_VALIDATION, EVENTTARGET, and EVENTARGUMENT.

After correlating, you should add "IgnoreRedirections=Yes" to your web_reg_save_param statements for VIEWSTATE and EVENT_VALIDATION.

Other items to consider:
    1. http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualS...dbackID=101988
    2. If machine key is coming from the regestry and not being encrypted - you may be able to put it in a parameter file along with machinekeys from your load generators - for scenario playback. I've had to do this but once in about 3 years.
    Ted or Anyone - does this ring any additional bells for you? I don't see enough to nail it down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate.

I did add "IgnoreRedirections=Yes" to my web_reg_save_param statements for VIEWSTATE and EVENT_VALIDATION.

I think the problem is coming from the application I was trying to record, not coming from the LoadRunner. Here is my thinking:

In error msg, there is one "invalid viewstate" and gives the viewstate value. I think this means the LoadRunner thought the viewstate captured by web_reg_save_param function is right, but the application said this viewstate value is wrong, refuse to take it.

Then I think why this happen. The viewstate value generated by the application was so long, has 76664 strings. Here is part of my script describes this :

// [WCSLEN] Maximum parameter length changed by Correlation Studio
    web_set_max_html_param_len("76664");

And when I was trying to do corrlation on this part, I got a warning said the value was so big, would significantly slow the application down.

Since the value was so big, the web_reg_save_param can't capture the right one on a given time so the value captured by loadrunner can't go through.

So I think the developer of this application should make some changes on the viewstate validation process. That's the only reason I can think of right now after having tried a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ling - one way to handle the "web_set_max_html_param_len("76664");" is to set it once in the vuser_init section to something that is larger than what the recording engine set it to. One usually sees multiple web_set_max_html_param_len(); statements in a script. Remove all but the one in the vuser_init - again setting it to the largest value set in the script by the recording engine. I usually add 10% of the value to itself. If it gets beyond 100KB to 600KB you may need a patch from HP or latest SP - OR - if a larger value in the web_set_max_html_param_len();. If it is that large, one needs to be asking tough questions of the designers.

NOTE! this remedy is not a one-size fits all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Did you make sure that there is only one occurrence of VIEWSTAE being returned ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would imagine that there are tens/dozens of unique viewstates being passed back and forth between the client and the server....usign history as a guide on this... Miss one and you wind up with exactly the message noted above, "invalid viewstate..."
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I was talking about multiple VIEWSTATEs in a single HTTP response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes - you clearly stated that Ted. (oops) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Have you seen multiple viewstates for single requests - apparently? I haven't yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all, finally my script can play back.

JakeBrake, thank you, your suggestion of trying HTML Advanced recording - a script with Explicit URLs is the most important step. Can you tell me a little more about the difference between these two script types, -- script describing user action and script explicits URLs only.

Ted, thank you, mostly this is a correlation problem, I have to do correlation very carefully. For a credit card payment, I have to submit 4 forms, each form has one ViewState and one EventValidation, I have 8 places to correlate. But I am still not clear with some of the web_reg_save_param attributes, attribute "ORD" is different for every correlation. Do you know more about that?

James, you are right, there are more than 1 viewstate passed between client and server, any miss would get the same error msg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast