Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Creating scripts without recording

Hi,

I don't know if creating scripts without recording is good approach or not. I created a script with recording and I manually crafted one script something like this.

lr_start_transaction("transname");
    web_url("index.jsp",
    "URL=<url>,
    "TargetFrame=",
    "Resource=0",
    "RecContentType=text/html",
    "Referer=",
    "Snapshot=t1.inf",
    "Mode=HTML",
    LAST);
    lr_end_transaction("transname", LR_AUTO);

I executed both scripts to check if there is any difference in the execution. The execution time, execution steps is almost same. I am aware that I won't have any recording log with a manually written script. I am also not planning for any correlation.

Having said that, Is it advisable to manually create the script? Will there be any major discrepency in performance numbers with a recorded script and a manually written script?

Thanks
    Anand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Creating scripts without recording

yes, one can create scripts without recording. Be sure and verify that what you are actually sending matches the request which might come out of a broswer. A protocol analyzer would be a great tool for this.

Is it recommended? No. Can one with the proper foundation skills in place accomplish the task? Yes.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There is a very good reason for having a recording component! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Just to clarify anand, if I manually create a script for a process and then record the process the scripts will be identical. If my manual script is correct is must contain exactly what the recorded script contains. The record log has no impact on the play back of the script.
    Unless you are writing a compiler, strtok is NOT the answer.
    See: http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...=541641#542222

QAF is still an exercise in self-sufficiency! (Thank JB!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the reply. I see few items in EXTRARES in the recorded version.

I checked the execution log for the manually created script. The images or flash files that are in the EXTRARES section are downloaded succesfully. (I haven't created any EXTRARES section in my manual script).