Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[Solved] Correlation from compressed response

Hi!
    I am currently making a script for a tricky application that uses compression on parts of its response.
    There is some of the data returned from server that is compressed i zip format. I need to extract this response in order to correlate my next request. Is there anyone who had experienced this problem. Does there exist a function that can handle a decompression without going via an external DLL? If someone has used an external DLL, please be free to share which dll and a code snippet as an example.

I'm Struggling a bit here [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ 01-12-2006, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: JakeBrake ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: [Solved] Correlation from compressed response

Can you explain a little more about how the compression is being used? I'm not understanding how you could have correlation dependencies on compressed response data unless it is extracted during the response process.
    Normally when correlating, the data needed to correlate is responded back to the client by the previous transaction. It sounds like the compression and extraction is taking place within the response itself??
    If that's not the case, is it possible that the data you're trying to correlate is not 'required' for the next request or that instead of correlating, you can simply parameterize the data you need?
    Resistance is futile.

SuperK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The software I am testing is a business Intelligence solution from a software company called Panorama. The solution is based on IIS 6.0 and SQL2000. The system is built up by several standard reports that is predefined. Every report shows up in the browser like a grid in the report view. In this grid, users may perform drilldown on the various headers. The grid itself is built up with standard html and jhtml code but all the data (digits in the grid) is rendered by an applet. The data used for this presentation always come back in binary form with
    RecContentType=application/x-zip-compressed. I am able to find these files in my results directory and when extracting them I can find the numbers in a file called panorama. So to the problem: The first time I open a report I get a compressed file (the panorama file) with the numbers to be presented and some additional information. The first line in this file contains a SID on the form: {0E5AA4A5-68FA-1F3D-89B0-5FBD73EA699E}. When I perform a drilldown in this report, the SID is used in the new http request in the script (se below). When I playback the script with the original SID the script is failing on this step. Every time I run the script, the binary result file has a new value for the SID. Thatís why I am thinking that I have to correlate this value. Hope this helped to explain my problem

web_submit_data("connector.dll_5",
    "Action=http://cgawr004n/panorama/connector.dll?",
    "Method=POST",
    "RecContentType=application/x-zip-compressed",
    "Referer=",
    "Snapshot=t8.inf",
    "Mode=HTML",
    ITEMDATA,
    "Name=MfcISAPICommand", "Value=Command", ENDITEM,
    "Name=msg", "Value={0E5AA4A5-68FA-1F3D-89B0-5FBD73EA699E }etcÖetc
    LAST);

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Where are you capturing the SID? Also, it is possible that you need to properly implement the correlation scheme. I don't know that I've seen the original value correlated used as the parameter name.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Jake.
    I don't think the SID is available to correlate.

Jan.
    Sounds like the applet is what explodes the compressed file. ergo, the processing that reveals the parameter value for the next request occurs on the local machine, not as part of the response stream from server.
    This is problematic, since LR is only capable of manipulating the traffic to/from server.
    Since the SID is not available in the response stream, can you capture the file reference and use that to unbutton the compressed file?
    Resistance is futile.

SuperK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Bob - it might be. I'm basing that opinion upon the use of GUIDS in SQLServer. On the other hand, it might need only be parameterized....

Jan?? Was the SID previously sent from the server?

[ 12-06-2005, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: JakeBrake ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Jan,

If you truely need to unzip, then I haven't seen anything available in LoadRunner, as I have been curious before. You could implement a unzip routine in your app, but based on LR's C memory handleing issues, I would suggest using a 3rd party dll. And you probably dont need a dll, you could just use a 3rd party library and edit LR/VUGen to link with that library.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi and thanks 4 all responses.

BobK is right here and rextency is outlining my original request. I am able to catch the filestream that contains the compressed data. And it is the applet in the browser that renders the data (extract and displays). So basically what I want, is either a DLL that can be called or as rextency points out, a library to be included in the script. The problem with most DLLís is that they operate on zip files and/or are poorly documented. I want to operate directly on the stream I get back from server. The reason for this is less overhead. There are some libs (like ZIPLIB) that may be included in the script. The problem is my own skills in this area, time and that some of the libs must have some code wrapped around them to work with ZIP 2 compliant files. Most libs are also written in C# or other languages with different types than ansi C. I am not the first with this kind of problem. I have seen some on Mercury support forum, but none with a solution (just theoretical).

Jake: When you replay a script, you could find a result directory beneath your scriptfiles. In my example, the folder ..\testlib1\results\itearation1 contains all server requests headers and body and server replies headers and body. Its here Iím able to check which request generates which response. Every call that implies the connector.dll seen in my example above, generates a zip file in response. The first request to every main report, generates a new zip (with the SID Iím looking for) that is used to do drilldowns in the report itself. Thatís all  Have to keep looking and I might take a crash course in C coding as well. I donít think this is the last we se of this kind of client side applets and compressing of data.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Jan.

Can you clarify this for us please?

Name=msg", "Value={0E5AA4A5-68FA-1F3D-89B0-5FBD73EA699E }

This looks unusual in that it has braces as a named parameter would. This tells me you have either a predefined parameter or a dynamic parameter setup with a web_reg_save_param(). Which is it? Either way, it appears that this may be contributing to a problem on playback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Jake!
    This is the exact way that the SID is represented in the response and request (By looking in the zip file and request headers). Since this is in conflict with LR parameter, I have changed parameter braces in general options to be [{ - }]. This is legal and I have tested the new braces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast