Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to create a WinSock script in LR?

Hi,
    I just downloaded the free demo of LR8.0 as our company is trying to evaluate it to see if it is useful for testing our product.
    I came to know from the demo that Windows Sockets would be the protocol that needs to used for testing CIFS related transactions.

In our kind of scenario, we would be using WinXP clients to access to our remote appliances which uses CIFS transactions to access different kinds of files through our server appliance( our product) which in turn connects to any kind backend file servers. We have to do load testing to see how many users can be supported by our Remote appliance.

How do I create a script in VUgen that would read a file stored in the remote backend, make changes and save?

Any help on this will be deeply appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to create a WinSock script in LR?

Write down the steps you would do to perform this action manually.
    Include data entered and the subsequent actions at each step.
    If data is optional, consider not entering as that simplifies the script somewhat.
    Once you thoroughly understand what is to be done, open VUgen, create a new script using Winsock protocol, and record the just-documented steps.
    Save
    Run unmodified
    Replace hard-coded values with parameters where data is known
    Auto-correlate for dynamically generated data
    Put it in a scenario
    Resistance is futile.

SuperK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

see fopen() and related calls for file handling in 'C.'
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi BobK,

I sincerely appreciate your help.

I tried to do that. ( Well, I opened iexplore.exe) it worked.
    But in our testing, we would require to connect to a remote machine first, browse to a directory, open a directory, then the file ( it could be any type of file)

I selected Winsock protocol while creating new script in VUGen. Well, in the record window, I tried to open the Winword.exe residing in my local machine, just to see if it would open it. But every time I did that 'Word' crashed, with the standard Microsoft error messgae box.!!

Any suggestions as to how to go about this?