Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Oracle NCA - can I detect errors generically without failing the Vuser?

I have an Oracle NCA script comprising a large number of virtual user actions. Any one of these actions may fail if the unexpected occurs - e.g. if an application error in the previous step prevents a button from appearing.

When this happens, if continue_on_error is set off then the Vuser will stop execution altogether. If it is set on then the Vuser will attempt to continue, which it's unlikely to be able to do successfully without intervention.

Neither of these options is ideal. What I want to be able to do in the event of an error is stop the current iteration, call a routine I've written to close all open windows (such as error popups), then start the Vuser from the beginning of the next iteration.

The problem is that to code for all possible errors would result in a very complex script. Clearly LoadRunner 'knows' when an error has occurred, regardless of what caused it. Can anyone suggest a way that I can detect that and handle it accordingly?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Oracle NCA - can I detect errors generically without failing the Vuser?

If your handler closes ALL open windows, then you'll shut down the session altogether. Surely you are not connecting and disconnecting on each iteration? Or maybe your handler reconnects?

The only way I know to do this is with an exception handler. Not difficult, but - as you say - the problem is how to detect that a problem has occurred. I guess you could, for example, test for the existence of the "Error" window.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Peter,

Sorry, I should have said that the routine closes all windows except for the 'base' window, which is the starting point for the script iteration. So no, my Vuser sessions remain intact.

Not sure what you mean by the "Error" window. If you mean an error dialog coming from the forms server, then unfortunately it's not quite that straightforward since any unexpected circumstance (missing or disabled button, disabled form, unexpected Decision/ Warning popup etc) may cause the script to fail. It's only when LoadRunner finds itself unable to perform the specified action on the specified object that the script errors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

ok, I understand what kind of error you're talking about.

Well, in that case, I have to get back on my "functional vs. performance testing" soapbox.

If you are trying to performance test (with LR) an implementation of ANY application that frequently contains bugs, then you're in for a tough time.

eg: Missing or disabled button? Functional problem. Application not ready for performance testing.

I have tested 11i (LR AND WinRunner), and never attempted to handle application errors except when they were cause by a predictable condition (usually caused by data).

Granted, it can take a while to get code to handle all the possible (legitimate) Oracle popups into a script. But you can't (usually) just ignore them and move on to the next iteration.