Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: scripting for a VB application

<where can i read about this topic?>
    Program>Mercury LoaDRunner>Documentation>LoadRunner Books Online>Controller User Guide>Configure WAN emulation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

scripting for a VB application

We have a VB application which takes in an xml request, sends it to the host and displays the response on two seperate boxes.

1. If i need to capture the script in loadrunner, is there an add-in that I have to use? which protocols should I select. I tried with both single and muliple protocols and varied all the logical protocols but still cannot make it work. what should i do?

2. I have never done a WAN emulation before. what are the general WAN parameters that we need to measure. how to do that in a load runner. where can i read about this topic?

replies appriciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

1. Have you tried SOAP (single proto)?

2. What about WAN do you need to emulate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by JakeBrake:
    1. Have you tried SOAP (single proto)?

2. What about WAN do you need to emulate?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">1. I tried SOAP it didnt work either.

2. This is my case. I have to simulate users from AZ, FL and CA to access my server at IL. On a broader scale, how am i going to do that? I think I can use one of the network monitors to record the parameters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

1. If you can't solve 1 then 2 is a non... Have you talke to Mercury about this? Are you dealing with a custom protocol - variation on SOAP? have you tried WinSock?

2. You will get throughput, hits-pers-second, etc. If this is not enough, maybe put someone or some tool on this that will sniff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If you are trying to simulate users coming from different sites with different network link characteristics, as Ahmeda points out, LoadRunner will allow you to configure the WAN emulation... determine the bandwidth coming from the different locations and use the run-time settings to simulate this (Run Time Settings -&gt; Network -&gt; Speed Simulation). You can throttle back the bandwidth to the appropriate level.

Another option is to have load generator(s) in your remote locations. In this case, you could use the Network Delay Monitor to monitor network delay time between the load generator, say in CA, and the server in IL. You could also filter and graph results by load generator to see the difference in response times at these locations.

You could also use a WAN emulation tool like Shunra's Virtual Enterprise (used to be Storm and Cloud). This is a powerful tool that will allow you to simulate the exact characteristics of the network links (link size, dropped packets, congestion, etc...). http://www.shunra.com/products/VirtualEnterprise.php
    Laura Scharp
    SoCalGal - Defender of end user response times!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks guys...my question on WAN emulation is solved. We will be using the Sundras WAN emulator.