Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

LoadRunner and TestDirector on Same Server

My company has been utilizing WinRunner-TestDirector for some time and is just now starting to get in to some load/performance testing using LoadRunner. I'm actually heading out to formal training next week.

I've done a little research both here and at the Mercury site but still have one question. Has anyone encountered any issues with having the LoadRunner Controller installed on the same server as TestDirector? On the surface I would tend to think it wise for LoadRunner to have it's own dedicated server, especially as our TD utilization will be extended enterprise wide here shortly (defect tracking-requirements).

Is there a potential performance hit on the server or any other possible conflicts with having these on the same box that we should be aware of.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: LoadRunner and TestDirector on Same Server

Runs fine for us, but the server only has TD's scripts (and attachments) on it - the TD web server & database server are separate. Also, our TD burden is light, and our LR runs are overnight when probably nobody is using TD at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

whic piece of LoadRunner are you considering co-locating on your TestDirector Server, Controller, Genrator, VUGEN, or just results storage?
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

No concrete decisions have been made yet, but there is talk right ow of just the Controller and results storage.

Vugen and Generator would likely be done on machines dedicated to individual projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I profer not to colocate my controller with a piece of production hardware for one reason. I like to reset my whole testbed (ideally cold boot everything) between test runs to establish a common baseline for the testbed and application.

This is really not doable (for me) if the controller is located on a piece of 24x7 production infrastructure.

'Pulley

[ 06-27-2005, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: James Pulley ]
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have that (undesirable) co-location.

But, who cares about the stinkin' users? I just go ahead and reboot it ANYWAY!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hey all...Just completed day two of LoadRunner training in Maryland. Have been getting some great information. The 'official' recommendation was to have the controller and analysis piece on one server other than TD...VuGen on developer machines (those doing script dev that is) and the load generators on, well, pretty much any dedicated machine with access to the AUT.

We'll probably follow this since we will be using TD as a defect management tool company wide and any reboots/maintenance activities could have a rather large impact.

Will report back in the future of any significant findings.

Thanks for the feedback.