Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Testing Screen scraping fuctionality on mainframes

I have to test an application that is a middle were piece.
    Basically this application gets data in the form of XML file from counties ( this is a state position) and process it through a screen scraping tool and store it on main frames.

Data flow is as follows:
    county(xml schema)-> Web Sphere(through https (same xml file)) -> Cloverleaf -> Screen scraping tool -> Main frames.(DB2 database)

I do not have any front end, ALL that I can do is to see in the mainframes if the datea is residing correctly or not.

Can anyone guide me how to test this application utilizing LR or manually

Thanks,
    Ansari.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Testing Screen scraping fuctionality on mainframes

Clearly this is not a use for LoadRunner, as you have not yet effectively answered the question, "Will this process work effectively for one user." Your title also points to a functionality question.

This really sounds like either a manual test, or if the steps can be documented effectively with established criteria for success which is not subject to interpretation, then you may have candidate here for an automated functional test. I will refer you to the automated functional testing tools that are a part of the Mercury family for follow up, WinRunner and QuickTest Professional.

Regards,

'Pulley
    ... a change agent
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Pulley,

I have posted this on QTP Forum and Functional testing forum as well. So far I did receive any reply on that although there were dozens who viewed it.

I need o make a test strategy which can utilize either LR or QTP or Manual test techniques..

If you can throw any ideas as how the plan and strategy should be made it would be much appreciated..

Thanks,
    Ansari.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Keep in mind, these forums are volunteer efforts, not support. If you need to functional test, then look at QTPro or WinRunner. LR is not your tool.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So far I did receive any reply on that although there were dozens who viewed it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Well, gee, sorry! I for one have to read a post before I can figure out if I have any useful input. Sometimes I don't, but of course I show up in the viewer count.

As James says, this is a volunteer effort - no one gets paid (or as far as I can tell, any glory). Don't throw your question to multiple forums - you only irritate the people who MIGHT be able to help you.

Also as James indicates, QTP and WR are sometimes interchangeable, but LR is ALTOGETHER different.

In answer to your question, if all you can see is the data in the database (and there's no front end GUI or interface), then any number of (cheaper) tools will help you test. A SQL script for example?

or Manual test techniques.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">That seems like the way to go --- and isn't it kind of obvious? Query the database; look at the results; are they right?