Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

.class files

Hi ,
    Recently i did a web application where there were applets (.class files) on the web page......initially LR was not able to record those things then after making some changes to the settings LR recorded those things.....
    Now my question is do these things (applets , flash etc)executed on the client side bother me ...because as far as my understanding goes LR measures performance of the server and not on the client....
    and do such things affect transaction responce time ?

correct me if i am wrong

thanx

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: .class files

It's more realistic to keep .class in your scripts, of course.

LR measures the end-user resp time, but not at the UI level. It measures the time it takes to download all the components of a web page.

Thus, in case your client app is fairly "fat" (e.g. using lots of heavyweight Java applets) the real response times experienced by a real user can be sligtly longer than those reported by LR.

Of course, that the real resp times are dependant on your client PC. For example, the heavy Java applet based page will run much faster on P4 with 1Gb RAM than on PII 64mB RAM.

In case you'd like to measure the resp time which will include the UI footprint (in other words, you's d like to measure how "fat" is your client) you can combine the usage of LR with a functional testing tool (e.g. WinRunner) where you run the script performing exactly the same steps you have in LR script. Just keep in mind, that such a measurement (functional testing tool) MUST be conducted on a _typical_ (in terms of OS, CPU, RAM, browser version and settings, Java VM/plug-in, etc) client PC.

In most of the cases it is just assumed that the client side activities just add a minor delays to the real user resp time and you do not have all this haemorrhoids with the functional testing tool.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thanx ilia ,
    Is there any way to put some sort of check (like web_reg_find) to ensure during playback that the applet is actually being downloaded ....
    web_reg_find wont work here as it looks for a "word" in a html page.....

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, maybe to use web_get_int_property() to check for the size of the file downloaded...

------------------