Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Silk Performer Vs. Loadrunner

I am currently evaluating load testing tools for our web application. Its a three teir application, with Iplanet web server, Oracle database, and various legacy systems behind the database. I am currently only concerned with testing the front end of the app. (webserver / database). We use Java Servlets to dynamiclly create HTML content.
    I have looked at both Segue and Mercury's product and found very little objective information comparing the two. We are anticipating testing 1000 - 3000 simulataneous users. We are not concerned about difficulty to configure because we will probebly being using either of these companies on a consulting basis for the first
    test. Objective and critical information, comments, concerns would all be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    AJ Alhait
    BetaSoft Inc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Silk Performer Vs. Loadrunner

I agree with AJ. Check around the forum. This topic has been done to death. But one thing to keep in mind is that you should determine how you plan to use the tool as far as a methodology - not just as a process. LoadRunner and SilkPerformer are both very good tools and both of them have their share of strengths and weaknesses. Decide your methodology and how the tool will be put to use - not just short-term, but long-term as well.

You say: "I am currently only concerned with testing the front end of the app. (webserver / database)."

However, the Web server and the database are the back-end. The browser client, strictly speaking, is the front end. Both tools support Oracle very well and LoadRunner has an excellent transaction breakdown monitor for Oracle (although I think it is a separate license to purchase).

Keep in mind that SilkPerformer has a much higher learning curve, when all is said and done, than does LoadRunner but (and this is just my opinion) it offers more robust results. Keep in mind various things that you want to test. Do you (or will you) have application servers? Are you concerned with staged iterations or staged users? Are you concerned with variable access methods? Will you use the tool in conjuction with third-party performance tools or monitors? Will you use the tool for just transaction testing? Load/stress testing? Solving performance models? There are a lot of things to consider.

Finally, nothing beats trying both out in your environment. Get thirty day evaluations of both and put them through their paces. The consulting will help you a lot initially and Mercury and Segue each have very good contacts in this regard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Silk Performer Vs. Loadrunner

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Brennan:
    QALoad from Compuware also provides these capabilities as well as equal or greater robustness/flexibility/accuracy.

Of course, there's no need to take my word for it, as I'm obviously a biased party. A product trial is the best way to compare and contrast the various Performance Testing products.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

This forum is not intended for advertisement of any product.
    Being a forum moderator [by definition] means to keep the discussion free of advertisements and job offerings/hiring.
    Trying to push your products you can contact the potential customer directly, but not using this forum.

Regards,
    --Ilia