Unable to capture actions when trying to attach file from Windows Explorer on Web App
I have a web based application that I can record and playback fine all actions without error in Vugen; however, the application has one step where you click "Browse" which takes you to Windows Explorer so you can select a file such as a Word Document or PDF Document, and then you click Open in Windows Explorer, and then upload in the web application to attach it. But LoadRunner is not capturing any of these actions including clicking Browse and nothing from Windows Explorer, so on playback I end up with a "ticket" that has no attachment.
I can record and playback everything else using Ajax and Web-Http/Html. Does anyone know if this is a limitation of LoadRunner, and if not, how do I get LoadRunner to capture these actions in Windows Explorer?
Any advice would be appreciated.
If you wish to interact with the common file open explorer dialog then you will need to interact with the GUI. Several options are available if you deem it absolutely necessary to head down this path rather than capturing the HTTP layer interface. You have a GUI Virtual User. You have a Citrix Virtual User. You have a Remote Desktop/Terminal Services Virtual User. Any of these can be used to interact with the common dialog boxes. Architecturally this is a poor solution set when another path is available
I put forth the hypothesis that you do not need to interact with the common dialogs so long as you know the complete file path. I have worked with dozens of applications over the years which upload a file and the use of the HTTP protocol works just fine. On occasion an FTP was called under the covers and on one occasion a copy to a common windows directory took place. All of this was handled in a protocol layer virtual user.
Look very carefully at the recorded request which comes out of your actions where you selected a file. In such a case with GUI operations not interacting with a server over HTTP I would not expect architecturally to see anything recorded in an HTTP virtual user. But, the POST or GET which follows should have some evidence of the file. Either the file is completed embedded in the stream or a file handle for upload exists. This is where you need to modify the code
Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour
. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.
Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.
Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes
I resolved this issue by doing a recording using TruClient - Web Protocol. This was able to save the Client Side Only functions that the Web-HTTP/HTML could not capture. After that I used the conversion function in TruClient - Web that converts the script to a Web-HTTP/HTML Protocol. I had to pull a couple of web submit functions out of my original scripting attempt just using Web-HTTP/HTML, and put them into the converted script which was not difficult. Then just some final coding in the new script and I was good to go and the script runs without errors. I plan on using TruClient - Web going forward in such instances where I need to capture and use Client Side Only Functions.