Hello -

I am attempting to gain insight into the usage of DFE in 11.52, but I do not have a DFE site to test against, nor can I find much documentation on it other than what is in the help file. The HP videos on Youtube only show automatic DFE and end before they show the code playback.

How I understand DFE is, web_convert_to_formatted is used to format the data into a readable form, from there we can correlate and parameterize as needed. Then, web_convert_from_formatted is used to format the data before it goes back to the server. However, the more i read the help file and watch the HP videos on Youtube the less sure I am this is correct.

Also, I am receiving errors from the example code in the help file. I am attempting to use the web_convert_to_formatted example as indicated in the help file. I am assuming I can "copy pasta" the code into a blank file, create the chains in recording options, create the parameter as it states, and run the code.

To use this sample code:

Create chains named myChainName1, myChainName2, and myChainName3 using the Data Format Extension user interface.

Define a LoadRunnerparameter named myBinaryDataBuffer. The parameter stores binary data.

web_convert_to_formatted (
"RawData= {\"firstName\": \"John\",\"lastName\": \"Smith\"}",

"org.springframework.remoting.support.RemoteInvoca tion_l"

"RawData/BinaryParam= myBinaryDataBuffer",

**Note, the help file dropped a double quote in the second call, add that back in before compiling**

When I run this, I get the following errors:

Virtual User Script started at : 10/24/2013 4:18:15 PM
Starting action vuser_init.
Web Turbo Replay of LoadRunner 11.52.0 for Windows 7; build 4391 (Apr 23 2013 18:55:40) [MsgId: MMSG-27143]
Run mode: HTML [MsgId: MMSG-26993]
Run-Time Settings file: "C:\Users\vhaisproginc\Documents\VuGen\Scripts\Fli ght Program\DFE Example\\default.cfg" [MsgId: MMSG-27141]
Ending action vuser_init.
Running Vuser...
Starting iteration 1.
Maximum number of concurrent connections per server: 2 [MsgId: MMSG-26000]
Starting action Action.
Action.c(4): web_convert_to_formatted started [MsgId: MMSG-26355]
Action.c(4): Warning: The string '"firstName": "John","lastName": "Smith"' with parameter delimiters is not a parameter.
Action.c(4): Warning -35056: Raw data was not converted, no data was saved for parameter DFE_Param1 [MsgId: MWAR-35056]
Action.c(4): web_convert_to_formatted highest severity level was "warning" [MsgId: MMSG-26391]
Action.c(10): web_convert_to_formatted started [MsgId: MMSG-26355]
Action.c(10): Warning -35056: Raw data was not converted, no data was saved for parameter DFE_Param2 [MsgId: MWAR-35056]
Action.c(10): web_convert_to_formatted highest severity level was "warning" [MsgId: MMSG-26391]
Action.c(27): web_convert_to_formatted started [MsgId: MMSG-26355]
Action.c(27): Error -26321: Unable to retrieve value from parameter " myBinaryDataBuffer" , make sure parameter exists [MsgId: MERR-26321]
Action.c(27): web_convert_to_formatted highest severity level was "ERROR" [MsgId: MMSG-26391]
Ending action Action.
Ending iteration 1.

I understand I have nothing stored in "myBinaryDataBuffer", so that explains one error on line 27, but why can't I parse the data I am passing in the other 2 calls? Also, it did not inform me what chain .war file to use, so I tried each one of the default chain values, and all returned the same error.

My next step is to just search online for a GWT enabled website and record against it, but I would like to gain a better understanding of the calls first.

Thanks a lot!