Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Multiple protocol LR testing (citrix ICA and web)

HI ALL

I'm trying to record script using multiple protocol. LR launches the IE (web citrix) and records script up until the point where I have to launch my AUT (trazetto Facets) that is citrix based .. this is the last script the LR records

ctrx_nfuse_connect(" http://citrixpna/Citrix/XenApp2/site/launch.ica?CTX_Application=Citrix.MPS.App.CitrixAG P6.FAC5Q&CTX_Token=138BD927EB311640961117E051F919C C&LaunchId=1377107189715", CTRX_LAST);

After the above recorded script all the activities i perform on LR are not captured in the script. So the WEB part of the protocol works fine up until
    I start recording script for my citrix based AUT..

HP recommended I instal the LR citrix agent on the Citrix server which I did but LR is still not recording capturing events i perform through Citrix on FACETS
    Kindly provide any suggestions for a fix or trouble shooting.. Try and break it down as much as you can. Any help is greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Record a native Citrix session.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Thank you for the response but this will not reflect actually production scenario.. or actual facets USE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Are you trying to test your application or Citrix? The amount of actual web traffic is super small and then the add in to the browser becomes a standard Citrix session. Put your question mark over the application, the Citrix server and the web components and be very clear about what you are trying to test and why.

If you look at the web add in under a protocol analyzer it is indistinguishable from a native Citrix client once you are connected to the Citrix server. So, then it is identical to application use. Think architecturally.

You will probably want to examine this whitepaper, http://www.trizetto.com/WorkArea/Dow...53371865,d.dmg

And perhaps even ask TriZetto to supply a copy of their benchmark scenario and business process code for your organization to leverage in your testing efforts. Presumably your scalability of Citrix is known and you are looking for the scalability of the Facets solution set.
    Last edited by jpulley3; 10-01-2013 at 05:55 AM.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Thank you jpulley3.. In productions enviroment, We access facets through a web citrix brower before launching facets that resides on a Citrix server and this is what I have been try to replicate in my testing enviroment...

I look at the file from the link and it has most of the scenarios that I am looking to test. I will try and find out about TraZetto bench marking scenarios.. From the white paper i have just read most of their business process are the same as what I work with/on.. My real problem has been setting up my testing enviroments and being able to capture LR events performed on Facets that is citrix based but accessed through web.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Be very clear about what you are testing for scalability:
    * Are you testing TriZetto? If so, then why are you not testing it directly?
    * Are you testing Citrix? if so, then why isn't running office sufficient?
    * Are you testing the web add in for Citrix? If so, then why isn't simply testing notepad sufficient?

If you have three moving components with question marks on scalability in your test design and the system fails to scale how many control factors do you have which isolate each layer so you can solve the "X+Y+Z=14, solve for Y" issue?

Isolate what you have a question mark on scalability and test that component independent of the others. If you have two elements with question marks then make at least one a "known good" in terms of scalability before combining it with the other. The ideal would be to validate both independently before combining them.

Odds would suggest that if your company is deploying this solution on Citrix then they already have good lore or measures on the Citrix front and they are really concerned about the performance of the application. Test for that because the performance of Citrix from the Citrix server to the Citrix client is not going to measurably change whether the application is Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat or or a completely custom application. What "may" change is how many you can get on a Citrix server alongside all of the other applications which are also being served from the same server farm, but the odds would suggest that you are only testing one app and not the combined load of dozens of other applications also served from the same farm.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    * Are you testing TriZetto? If so, then why are you not testing it directly... I cannot test it directly because in production Facets is accessed through a web interface.. http://citrixpna/Citrix/XenApp2................ So i have to launch the Citrix web interface to replicate real 'world' scenario
    * Are you testing Citrix? if so, then why isn't running office sufficient?- Facets is installed on the Citrix server so I have to test the performance of the Citrix server (not the application) with increase in Volume of transactions being done on Facets
    * Are you testing the web add in for Citrix? If so, then why isn't simply testing notepad sufficient? NO..

So the only Moving part application-wise is Facets..

But i get the logic in your argument.. if my only concern is to test Facets and not interested in Citrix application then I should be able to test It while it resides on the Citrix server without launching the web interface.. this will still give me results on the citrix server and Facets as an application.. I surmise this is what you were trying to say through your 'isolation' argument

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    * Are you testing TriZetto? If so, then why are you not testing it directly... I cannot test it directly because in production Facets is accessed through a web interface.. http://citrixpna/Citrix/XenApp2................ So i have to launch the Citrix web interface to replicate real 'world' scenario
    * Are you testing Citrix? if so, then why isn't running office sufficient?- Facets is installed on the Citrix server so I have to test the performance of the Citrix server (not the application) with increase in Volume of transactions being done on Facets
    * Are you testing the web add in for Citrix? If so, then why isn't simply testing notepad sufficient? NO..

So the only Moving part application-wise is Facets..

But i get the logic in your argument.. if my only concern is to test Facets and not interested in Citrix application then I should be able to test It while it resides on the Citrix server without launching the web interface meaning ill go the ICA file route.. this will still give me results on the citrix server and Facets as an application.. I surmise this is what you were trying to say through your 'isolation' argument BUT if while launching the ICA HTTP/HTML protocol i wasnt able to capture citrix based event done on FACETS why would it capture citrix event while using the ICA file? just a curious question that might lack technical backing