Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Peoplesoft generator load

Hi, I'm looking for an estimate of how many vusers can be run per generator with a Peoplesoft script. It's been a while since I've used the protocol, and I can't for the life of me recall any numbers.
    So, just wondering if anyone out there is actively running vusers, what sort of vuser load you are getting, e.g. 20 vusers per generator, 100, 1000?
    I'm only finding out from my client tomorrow what sort of load they are looking for, and want to make sure they have enough generators available for my arrival.

And before anyone replies that the best way to do it is to try it, I can't. The client doesn't have anyone who knows LoadRunner, so there is no one to test it out before I get on-site, and they want to start running load within days of my arrival, but it takes them 1+ weeks to get hardware if any is required, so I need to give them an idea ahead of time what they need.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    You need to provide more information to clarification.
    (1) What type of peoplesoft virtual user? Two Tier Database? Tuxedo? Straight Web? PeopleSoft Web?
    (2) What sized Load Generatosr? Are all of the load generators consistently sized? Do you share your load generators with other users, either physically or virtually?
    (3) What size are your virtual users? i.e. What is the resource fingerprint in terms of CPU, DISK, NETWORK and RAM for each of your virtual users?

As to number, a always go with a minimum of three on a process basis. Two for primary load and one for a control set. All hardware matched. As the load generator solution set is 32 bit software, go for the max 32 bit hardware solution at 4GB of RAM. Unless you are doing a lot of heavy bad stuff in your virtual users a two processor ATOM CPU machine would be sufficient. Or, if your company is blade centric, typically the smallest blade solutions make for dandy load generators.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    It depends how much resources are available on the Load Generator. I'm not sure how many resources a peoplesoft script needs but there is no set number of load gens because not every load generator is the same.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Yeah, sorry it's Peoplesoft enterprise. I forgot about Tuxedo, hadn't seen that in 10 years or so.
    The point is, I do not know what the footprint is yet.

I'm just looking for very general numbers. Like how citrix it's around 50 per generator, TE you shouldn't run more than 200 or so. Regular web I've run 1000s. The last pc they had available for me to use as a generator, was supposedly their smallest blade, was 2-cpu XEON (capable of 32 cpu cores), with 96gb of ram. Again, just general number of what people have managed to run, so that if I find out they want to run 1000 users, and someone suggests they only tend to get 100 vusers running, I can suggest they get at least 10 generators.
    I cannot test the resource footprint till I get on-site, but by then it'll too late to make requests for servers