Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Brushing up on Loadrunner

Hello
    I'm new to this forum and just trying to get some advice on getting back into work as a Loadrunner Performance Tester. I have been in IT for about 10 years doing everything from Nortel Telecom Programming to Help Desk/Tech Support. I also have 2 years experience as a Systems Admin Associate where we were using HP Sitescope/Loadrunner and BAC daily. I used to perform basic testing of scripts using loadrunner. I would fix basic issues with the scripts and assisted a Software developer on my team with an app he created for the Data Center analyst. I really like loadrunner and jsut trying to find the best way to learn it. One of my former co workers said that I would need to learn C programming first. Can someone tell me how much of a C programmer you have to be, I mean is it just learning the basics like if, while, loops, functions, statements some libraries or is it a lot deeper?. I heard you can download a 14 day trial of Loadrunner also after I get the c programming stuff down. I was just wondering if I could get some help with that?
    Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Brushing up on Loadrunner

the more c programming you know the better, but flow control (if, for etc), string manipulation (strcat, strstr etc), basic maths (including rand and %) and a basic understanding of pointers are all incredibly useful (the 1st 3 are a necessity imo)

there is indeed a trial version of LR

but remember at the end of the day that LR is just a tool and which realistically represents 15% of the job skills required

so do some research on performance testing/engineering (wikipedia is a good place to start) and see if that's really what you want to do before starting to learn a tool for it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

(To reiterate what Jim said...) You need to understand C to the point where you can write non-trivial string processing code.

If you have a good understanding of string handling in C, then you are at or better than a lot of the people with "LoadRunner" on their resume.

If you worked with BAC and Vugen scripting to support that, you are basically qualified to apply for junior level LoadRunner / Script Developer positions.

The "performance engineering" aspect is something that you are going to have to learn over time.
    Unless you are writing a compiler, strtok is NOT the answer.
    See: http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...=541641#542222

QAF is still an exercise in self-sufficiency! (Thank JB!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

re: performance engineering - I agree completely with what pt said above it's something that comes over time (and that you will never stop learning), but it's a good idea to have a look at it in terms of is this something I want as a career...

I see so many people, who have been trained in LR, but don't have the 1st bit of understanding of what they are actually supposed to be doing with the tool, that they end up using the screwdriver as a hammer, or a saw as a nailfile, yeah you can use that tool like that, but if you really want to give your clients value for money, use the right tool in the right way

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think this thread is developing into a useful thread of discussion for people interested in starting in LR and performance engineering.

One critical element to take out of what Jim wrote and what I wrote previously is that C expertise and basic scripting skills are the needed foundation for a Junior level LR engineer / scripter.

This is a critical point that I didn't emphasis but that Jim pointed out by its shadow. A Junior level anything is expected to be mentored / guided / educated by AVAILABLE more senior personnel.

The key here is that this in no way implies that someone who can spell C and can do a couple of correlations to get a script to correctly run is qualified to marshall a load testing / performance engineering effort.
    Unless you are writing a compiler, strtok is NOT the answer.
    See: http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...=541641#542222

QAF is still an exercise in self-sufficiency! (Thank JB!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks so much to all of you guys. I really appreciate it and I really want to understand what I'm doing and not just be doing it ya know. I was so frustrated when I used to see members of our India QA team do a lot of that stuff and I wanted to be a part of all that so now I have a real good idea of where to start and hopefully get a Jr Level position. I mean I was basically living in Loadrunner every night running tests for scripts for Business Units so I have a basic idea of whats going on. I'm so dumb I should have connected with you guys a while back. Anyway I just have to get the c programming basics down and get my hands on loadrunner again and try to crack this. Again thank you guys so much and appreciate all of your help. All I need to do now is find some good video tutorials that can give me the c programming stuff I need. I think I found one at c-tutorial.net. Any of you guys heard of that one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

just buy "c for dummies", I think that's the most recommended here

it'll be much easier to follow than a video

and you'll have an excellent reference at hand in future should you need it

to be honest I'm not convinced a video teaching programming would really work and quite frankly, who wants to watch a video of someone typing code?!

buy a book: read, think and learn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks I have heard about that book. Books are good for me if they can break things down in beginners level so that I can follow it. I was thinking videos because for me if something like this is new to me its good to hear and see it in a way I can understand it and then go to the books but yes I will check this book out. Been reviewing it online and it looks good. : )
    Thanks so much guys