Thread: IPv6 Support?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

IPv6 Support?

After reading a few posts on the HP Loadrunner forum site, I have learnt that IPv6 is not currently supported. We are planning on upgrading to IPv6 network later this year. Does anyone here know if IPv6 will be supported in future releases?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: IPv6 Support?

For any of us non-HP and non-HP product managers IPv6 support is probably pure speculation. In some cases the inheritance of IPv6 may be transparent. As an example, some database vendors already tout IPv6 support in their client set, so where LoadRunner leverages one of these client types you get natural IPv6 support without having it explicitly within the tool.

"According to Wikipedia article on Winsock," IPV6 compliance has been baked into Winsock on the name/address resolution front for a while, so in that case LR would just inherit the ability to converse in a winsock environment.

As IPv6 concerns mostly layer 3 addressing and name resolution and just about everything in the LoadRunner universe is layers in the top three layers of the OSI Model (Application, Presentation, Session) and most Windows and modern 'NIX OS' have been IPv6 compliant for some time, then I would just try out the tool in an IPv6 environment and see how far you get. Ares of concern for me would be the initial connect and handshake between the controller and load generators along with connection to all of the hosts for monitoring (with SiteScope).

I wouldn't be surprised if you can get quite far in an IPv6 environment even without explicit "certified for IPv6" on the front of the box.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks James,
    We use IP spoofing extensively, and that is my main concern. Like you suggested I will try this out in a small virtual network environment first.

BTW I did speak to HP and they don't even have this on their roadmap, and a lot of customers are already asking for this.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

IPv6 is currently not supported, and it's a big inhibitor for LR at the moment. Unfortunately, LR native Web implementation does mess up with IP addresses, so it gets confused and may malfunction in IPv6 environment. As James mentioned above, other protocols using 3rd party API layers (DB protocols, .NET, Java) might fair better, as these libraries might already be IPv6 compliant.

IP spoofing would definitely be affected by IPv6 incompatibility, regardless of the used protocol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Michael,
    I think I will have to ask our network folks to hold off on the update until I hear something concrete from HP.