Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Session Handling in Load Runner

Hi,

I'm a newbie to Load Runner. I'm trying to carry out load testing on a flex based web application using Load Runner 8.0. After the user has logged into the application, a dynamic sessionID is generated by the server, and is returned in an XML file. From the client side, this sessionID is captured and sent as a header parameter in every subsequent client request. My testing scenario is something like this -

n concurrent users will be accessing the application simultaneously

For such a scenario, I need to generate n different session IDs at the run time while running the controller. As far as my understanding, this generation of n session IDs can be done through correlation. But when I tried to apply correlation, I faced the following problem -

The sessionID is being shown in the client request and not as a part of the server response. So I'm unable to apply correlation on the sessionID and carry out the required testing.

Is there something wrong that I'm doing? Am I missing on anything?
    Please let me know as to how this can be resolved.

Also, I would like to know if there is any way by which I can correlate the sessionID in the client request.

Any guidance on this would be of great help.

Thanks & Regards,
    meamitava

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Session Handling in Load Runner

are you doing manual correlation or automatic correlation?

Try to do it manually
    Staytuned
    http://staytuned4loadtesting.blogspot.com
    Your question is not completed until you share how you resolve the issue.

************************************************** ******************************
    The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of my company
    ************************************************** ******************************

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If this statement is true for your application and not some generic description of correlation, [ QUOTE ]
    After the user has logged into the application, a dynamic sessionID is generated by the server, and is returned in an XML file. From the client side, this sessionID is captured and sent as a header parameter in every subsequent client request.

[/ QUOTE ] then all you need to do is capture the request an reuse it appropriately in your script.

Your statement of the following:
    [ QUOTE ]

For such a scenario, I need to generate n different session IDs at the run time while running the controller. As far as my understanding, this generation of n session IDs can be done through correlation. But when I tried to apply correlation, I faced the following problem -

The sessionID is being shown in the client request and not as a part of the server response. So I'm unable to apply correlation on the sessionID and carry out the required testing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is odd on its face. One would not expect the server response to show up within the context of the script, only the requests. So, I guess the natural questions would be along the lines of your professional development with performance testing
    (a) Have you been through standardized LoadRunner training with an HP certified instructor using HP provided training materials?
    (b) Are you now (or have you been) involved in a internship program related to process and tool mechanics in the performance test profession as a complement to the material presented in the training class?
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

@barath - thanks for the guidance. I'm trying to perform manual correlation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

@james - Firstly thanks for your guidance.

The following statement is specific to my application -

"After the user has logged into the application, a dynamic sessionID is generated by the server, and is returned in an XML file. From the client side, this sessionID is captured and sent as a header parameter in every subsequent client request."

Some more clarification as to how I can capture the request and reuse it, would be of great help.

Regarding your second question -
    no, I have not been involved with any sort of internship or professional training on HP LoadRunner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

no, I have not been involved with any sort of internship or professional training on HP LoadRunner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Training is the first step on a long path. It is a step I can point you toward but one which you have to walk down yourself. If your management has gated off the path, then they are actively disinterested in you getting to your final destination, one where you are effective in both process and tools as a performance tester.

A full 1/3 of the standard LoadRunner training material is devoted to the subject of correlation: This is the place to begin. Performance testing tools are very dangerous tools in untrained hands. Like a firearm in the untrained hands, an errant shot can cause horrible financial damages.

Confirm your core skills. Go to Training. Participate in an internship/mentoring program. When you are complete begin to mentor the next generation. This is the path to success in this profession.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Dear Barath and all,

I have a related issue to this topic:
    When a unique session ID is shown in 'Replay Log' and it is not captured/visible in script/Recording Log/Recorded Event Log/Generation log then how can i manually correlate it?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Dear Barath and all,

I have a related issue to this topic:
    When a unique session ID is shown in 'Replay Log'

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are getting the session id in the Replay Log, then you should be able to capture that value.
    Session is generated by the server and it will be sent in the server response. If it is coming in the server response, then you should be able to capture that value.

Run the test with extended log and set WRSP's with proper LB and RB value and try to capture it.
    Staytuned
    http://staytuned4loadtesting.blogspot.com
    Your question is not completed until you share how you resolve the issue.

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of my company

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Syed/testwriter,

As has been noted in this thread, you will need to turn to HP or your var for assistance during your evaluation of LoadRunner.

This is the second time you have been so directed. Please respect the wishes of HP as expressed to the moderators for the support of evaluation licenses.
    James Pulley

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for quick reply Barath!

Let me explain my scenario:
    While executing following function:
    <font color="blue">
    web_button("INPUT",
    "Snapshot=t13.inf",
    DESCRIPTION,
    "Type=submit",
    "Tag=INPUT",
    "ID=btnLogin",
    ACTION,
    "UserAction=Click",
    LAST); </font>
    Session ID appears in replay as:
    <font color="blue">
    Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=E4F66BD60933D9B16BA31F311C39C5DB; Path=/TangoStudio\r\n
    </font>
    I tried WRSP as:
    <font color="blue">
    web_reg_save_param("SessID", "LB=JSESSIONID=", "RB=;", LAST); </font>

Now question is where to place parameter "SessID" in my script while there is no value in script for session id?

Thanks for your patience...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast