Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

parameterization and vuser_init

I want to read a unique row for each vuser in the vuser_init. I tried parameterizing using "update on each occurence" as I understand that "update on each iteration" only applies to the Action iteself.

Comments?

Thanks
    John

=======
    LR 9.50
    Windows 2003 Server

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: parameterization and vuser_init

By definition, the init and end sections are set to run only when the user enters/exits his actions. If you want a parameter in these sections to be updated for every iteration, you have two options.
    <ul type="square">1. Set the iteration count to 1 in Run-time settings. This way, the user will log on and off for each iteration and the init and end sections will be called each time.
    2. Move the code containing the parameters into the action section. [/list]
    On the other hand, if you have multiple instances of the same parameter in the init section and want to assign different values only when logging in for the first time, I think what you are doing will accomplish that.

Scimitar

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

<ul type="square">1. Set the iteration count to 1 in Run-time settings. This way, the user will log on and off for each iteration and the init and end sections will be called each time.
    [/list]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only in VuGen. When the Script moves to the Controller, and scenario duration is set for duration, it wont work as it should.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

duh! Stupid me!

Thanks for pointing it out, Chid.

Scimitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

To do what you want, can't you use?

Select Next Row: Unique
    Update: Once

That way, you'll get one unique "row" of parameters per VUser (you'll need as many rows as VUsers).

Regards,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The users are tied to the test data. Here's an exmaple:
    Allocation (log in once, iterate over n rows, then logout)
    User TruckID Allocate
    1 1 SKU1
    1 1 SKU2
    Ship (log in once, iterate over n rows, then logout)
    User TruckID Ship
    3 3 SKU1
    4 4 SKU2
    so if I use Unique I don't think it will read in sequential order (or will it).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

what exactly are you trying to do here?

are you trying to get user 1 to allocate SKU1 and then get user 3 to ship SKU1?

or doesn't it matter?

if the order is important then there are a number of approaches

you could log in to the application as 2 seperate users using the same sku in the same script, however this then dictates how you can structure your scenario, so not ideal

another way is to seed the database, before you test, with the allocation script adding enough data for your shipping script to run, at least until a decent amount of data is coming into the system, this is a very common way of getting around this issue

probably the most complicated is to use a database to pass the data at run time - however, if you want to go down this route it's not that difficult or time consumming, I had everything I needed downloaded, installed and working in about a day or so

for load runner mysql integration code google "richard bishop loadrunner mysql" or "jds australia loadrunner mysql"

i think the big issue here is what happens in real life? does user 1 enter sku1 in the system and then physically tell user 3 that they should ship sku1 and they ship it? or does the system tell user 3? and if so why user 3 and not user 79? or does a user do a general search and pick the first one to work on

for example, if your script for shipping does a search on a particular field and your actual user just searches with no criteria and takes the first one, then your test may not be as useful as it could be

it's always a balance really, between how much time you have, how accurate your test needs to be, the amount of effort you have to put in and potentially how you and your customers deal with you performance testing their application and maybe finding performance issues in a heavily used, in production, function that you didn't test because that's not how the walkthrough was written

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

And to answer your question about Unique, yes it will pull them in "sequential" order.

You need to see the "unique" like this; Pretend all your parameter rows constitute a set. Everytime your scripts (It's not a set per script but a set per group of scripts referecing that param file) call for one of these rows, that row is removed from the set. This effectively means the second VUser will grab the second row and remove it from the set and so forth.

So in the end, the effect is "sequential" but it requires you to have, at least, as many param rows as you'll have VUsers that reference them.

Hope this makes sense.