Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

AJAX Click & Script + Viewstate Correlation

1. What version of LoadRunner (LR)
    LR 9.52

2. What is the protocol you are recording?
    AJAX Click & Script

3. If HTML - are you using HTML-Advanced with URLs
    Yes-with explicit URLs

6. VuGen Recording - are you using Old or New Recording Engine?
    ?

7. What kind of LoadRunner license do you have -
    Permanent/500

9. What platform(s) (PCs) and Operating Systems (Windows-XP, etc.)?
    Windows 2003 Server

10. If you have filed a service request with HP/Mercury, what have they told you at this point with respect to your issue?
    Engineer could not answer.

--------------

Hi,

I am trying to record a horrible asp.net app (and this comes from the developers themselves), but am not having much luck with the solutions provided in this forum -- mainly because of the huge amount of data in the viewstate. I tried a few of the web_reg_save_param examples but that immediately results in an exception from the server so I am doing something wrong.

Attached is the parametrized code, which now when run gives a "Validation of viewstate MAC failed..." error. I know it is asking for a lot but can somebody *please* have a look at the attached code and give me some pointers on how to make this work?

I have already pulled out most of my hair about it last week trying to get it to work, so please, help me save what is left :P

Thanks in advance.
    Anthony
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: AJAX Click & Script + Viewstate Correlation

I count five viewstates, but a whole lot of other items that need to be correlated, particularly in your EXTRAREs references.

The veiwstates are not particularly long compared to some of the multi-megabyte (16-20MB) monsters out there. You will need to increase your maximum param length. Follow very carefully the manual correlation methods from your training. Fortuntately viewstate's follow a defined pattern for collection with the viewstate + underscore tag at the beginning and a common ending tag. Odds would suggest that you will only need to have a max of 2-3 active at any given time, so correlating all five into seperate independent variables which are stored throughout the server is overkill and would increase the memory footprint of your virtual user substantially.

Your first call likely returns state1, the submission of the next call (which may include the state1 reference) likely returns state2, the next call(which may include the state2 reference) returns state3, and so on and so forth.

Your recording mode is unclear. You refer to both click and script, which is browser based and then to an HTML script with explicit URLS. Your included scripot does not have explicit URLS nor does it really appear click n'script-ish with the web_custom_requests(). Is it possible you are just recording straight HTML? It might make it easier to view the flow of the script by recording an HTML script, selecting the recording options and then recording with URLS.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi James,

Thanks for the feedback -- I never had any kind of LoadRunner training so that makes things a bit difficult for me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I am usually a manual tester, not a load tester. So I need some hand-holding, I am afraid.

Let me elaborate a bit more on the protocol/recording type of this script, also for our future readers:

Protocol : Ajax (Click & Script)
    Recording : HTTP/HTML Level (HTML Based script)
    Script Type: A script containing explicit URLs only
    Non HTML generated elements: Record within current script step

Thanks,
    Anthony

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

I never had any kind of LoadRunner training so that makes things a bit difficult for me I am usually a manual tester, not a load tester. So I need some hand-holding, I am afraid.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an industrywide antipattern for success. I am aware that you are not likely responsible for being in the position you are in, it is the fault of your management. It is almost certain that your project will suffer as a result. Jumping directly from a manual tester to a performance testing role is a giant leap: Unfortunately, you will face a very difficult path ahead.

There is a path to success. It begins with an examination of your core skills and reinforcing where necessary. It is followed by Training. Training is followed by mentoring for your first two-three projects. After that you can be very self sufficient as a lead. And after that for a while you can become a mentor to the next generation.

This is a process with defined initial conditions, expected results from each step along the way, control factors in the form of peer and third party examination of skills, and then a final state which a person PASSes to a self-sufficient stage. This is a QA Professional development process based solidly in QA principals.

Only your management can answer why they have placed you in this position when a path with a well known success rate is known. If your management takes exception to this characterization please refer them here and we will be happy to speak with them on yours, your project's and the industry's behalf.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    The two items above are mutually exclusive. Your script is HTTP, which means you are not developing using the Click N Script family of protocols.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    The two items above are mutually exclusive. Your script is HTTP, which means you are not developing using the Click N Script family of protocols.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very rarely do I get a chance to chime in and point out that James is wrong - and this is one of those rare times.

James,

Ajax C and S and HTTP / HTML based recording are not mutually exclusive. the Ajax C and S is a superset of the Web recording modes as well. i.e if you select Ajax C/S as the Script protocol you have the option to generate a script according to 1.GUI Mode 2. HTML Mode 3. HTTP Mode. The AjaxCS generated in 2 and 3 is no different from a Web Protocol script which has options 2 and 3 only.

I will chalk your not knowing about this to the detest seasoned LR experts have towards C and S Scripts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anthony,

If the whole testing requirement is of a low number of users - then AjaxC/S takes care of your Viewstate correlation (there is none). The suggestion is to regenerate the script only in GUI Mode. It will revert to Web C/S functions and should not show any viewstate correlations.

That apart,there is nothing to beat actually getting your hands dirty and do a manual correlation of all the viewstates . in your case as it these are web custom requests - i hope you have used convert to url option in your wrsps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I stand corrected. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    James Pulley