Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

LoadRunner virtual user generator tool platform

I was reading the manual for the LoadRunner virtual user generator tool and it says that “Virtual User Generator records Virtual user scripts on Windows platforms only. However, a recorded Virtual user script can be run on both Windows and UNIX platforms. ”,
    are they talking about the platform where the application is installed or they are talking abut the platform where the loadrunner is installed, for example if I want to do a stress test for a Siebel application that is installed on Unix platform , but I will run the LoadRunner from my laptop which have windows XP as an operating system, so will I have any problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: LoadRunner virtual user generator tool platform

A script recorded is very much ignorant of the OS on the oposite end of the conversation. Probably the best example of this phenomenon can be captured in Apache and DB2. Both of these tools run on multiple platforms, from Windows, to UNIX, to Mainframe and even some embedded solutions. However, when you record a client side conversation which is HTTP with an Apache target or a DB2 target, the client only knows the target as a hostname or IP address and port combination, but not what the underlying OS is.

Some targets are OS specific, such as the Microsoft BackOffice suite with IIS and SQL Server, but even here you have a degree of ignorant behavior on the part of the client... baring a specific release of any of the software you are leveraging, it is entirely possible you could be hitting a 32 bit version of SQL 4.21 running on NT 3.51 or the latest SQL Developers edition in 64 bit running on someones workstation. So, you know it is Microsoft SQL Server as the target, but which release and which version of Windows underneath may be unknown. The common access layer in the form of DBLIB or ODBC is the level playing field.

On the replay front many protocols can be replayed on Load Generator software installed on various flavors of Windows and 'NIX (UNIX, LINUX, ...). There are some protocols which are Windows specific, such as MAPI and ODBC, but there are no protocols which only run in 'NIX environments but not Windows. So, if you have to pick a 'promiscuous' generator platform, then your best bet is to pick Windows.

There are no server dependencies for load generators. And while the server version of Windows will free up more RAM for use (2MB for Pro Workstation versus 4MB for server) the resources taken up by Server are more. There is a small balance in favor of server for free RAM where both platforms are maxed for 32 bit.

You will have no problem running Windows XP with LoadRunner on top. In fact, that "oh so boring workstation OS" makes for an excellent platform for LoadRunner as you have to worry about few OS related issues intruding upon your test. Having said that, keep best practices for test execution in mind, with a minimum host set of four hosts in your test bed (1 controller, 1 control set generator, 2 primary load generators).
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thanks for your reply , then what they meant in the virtual user generator manual that it is recommend to install the LoadRunner on windows platform regardless of the platform for the system that will be stress tested.so in my case where the Siebel application is installed in unix platform will not make a problem as long as i am using windows XP on my laptop to run the loadrunner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

No UNIX controller exists for the current release. You have to install the controller on Windows. Unless you have a protocol dependency for a Windows only protocol then you have flexibility in deploying load generators to either Windows or 'NIX hosts.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes