VuGen EXTRARES - Basic Questions

1. When I replay a script, do the URLs in EXTRARES get loaded?

2. If EXTRARES URLs are loaded, do they get loaded in parallel with the primary URL or do they get loaded after the primary URL has loaded?

3. Do you know where any of this is documented. I have looked at VuGen.pdf but it contains very little about EXTRARES.

Thanks -- Sam

Re: VuGen EXTRARES - Basic Questions

This is not so much an answer (which is known), but a path to find the answer.
    (1) Load Wireshark
    (2) Start Recording in Wireshark
    (3) Replay script up to the point of your call with multiple included EXTRARES
    (4) Stop recording in Wireshark
    (5) Examine requests in Wireshark and compare them to the EXTRARES referenced.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Hi James, thanks for your quick response.

If I understand your answer correctly, you are attempting to teach me to fish instead of serving me a piping hot fish dinner [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I agree totally with this approach. However I am not in a position to execute the load tests. But ... I am responsible for performance tuning as a result of the tests. The load test results are out of line with individual tests that I run, using (IE: IEHttpAnalyzer / Firefox: Firebug Net) to measure performance. The load test results are several seconds longer.

There are quite a few EXTRARES URLs in the web_url requests in the load testing script that they are running. I need to understand how the EXTRARES URLs are being processed.

For my tests, the URLs referenced by EXTRARES are, for the most part, being loaded in parallel with the UI request from the browser.

I need to understand if this is also the behavior from VuGen or if it loads them AFTER the UI request completes. This would account for the time differences between my tests and the load tests.

Since I have no access to fishing equipment, if you know the answer, I would appreciate it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Again, thanks for your help.

there are a few issues here

1. when you test the application using IEHttpAnalyzer and/or Firebug Net, is this during the execution of the performance test or not. If not you are not comparing the same thing. It is likely that under load the responses of
    the application are taking longer.

2. if the test simulated browser caching then the extra res will be cached after the first time for every user and therefore not reloaded after the first time, if it didn't then the extrares will be downloaded every time. you might want to have a look at the runtime settings of the scripts in the scenario from within the controller - not from vugen as they may be different - to verify this

3. if you are looking at a standard response time report, then extra res will be included in the response time for that step, depending on point 2 above, as will everything else between the lr_start_transaction and lr_stop_transaction functions. so for example if there is a lr_think_time statement inside the start and stop then you'll get this time included (this can be filtered out though in Analysis) if you have access to the analysis package and not just the report, then I suggest you have a look at the various Web Page Diagnostics graphs

More advice on how to fish (take it for what its worth) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

EXTRARES and its behaviour are explained in the VuGen guide

C:\Program Files\HP\LoadRunner\help\vugen.pdf

Page 1189
    Handling Non HTML-Generated Elements

Second path to dinner:

You might also clear your web server logs and watch the behavior of two users.
    1. Excite one user manually for the pages in question.
    2. Execute the same business process with a LoadRunner virtual user from a second host with the EXTRARES present.
    3. Examine the server logs for the requests in sequence.

Yes, I am attempting to provide several different fishing lures, poles and reels to see what is effective for you to catch your fish. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

The short answer is: EXTRARES are all the support files for a particular web page. They are going to get loaded since they are "needed". LR is probably going to attempt to do some parallel load on these. (This can be seen in URL mode.)

If you have EXTRARES that point to external sites and they are not providing core functionality, they should be deleted! (Especial if they are external sites and live sites!)
    Unless you are writing a compiler, strtok is NOT the answer.
    See: http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...=541641#542222

QAF is still an exercise in self-sufficiency! (Thank JB!)