Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

C programming issues

I've noticed quite a few posts recently regarding difficulty with C programming. While proficiency in C is pretty much a requirement for a LoadRunner scripter, this is a <u>LoadRunner</u> forum, not a C programming primer.

I suggest those who struggle with data conversion, if-then-else constructs, functions, string recognition etc either hit the books or address their questions to a forum that specifically relates to C (and it isn't one of these at SQAForums.com).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: C programming issues

Peter,

Excellent points. Programming skills in whatever is the core language of your tool is one of the essential foundation skills for any performance tester. If your tool uses C, as is the case with LR, you darn well better know C. Likewise, even in LoadRunner if your scripting model uses one of the alternate languages such as Java, JavaScript or VB then you darn well better know those as well.

Other tool and language match ups (not a comprehensive list).
    JMETER, JAVA
    WebLoad, JavaScript
    SilkPerformer, PASCAL
    QALoad, C
    OpenSTA, VB

As to the C component, if you need a refresher then I will recommend the same book that I recommend to members of my own family who taught themselves to program in C, C for Dummies, 2nd edition. Aside from the, well, awkward title, it is a pretty easy to follow book with excellent examples.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Peter,

I agree to some extent. QAF/LR shouldn't be C tutorial land any more than it should be LR tutorial land. However, some of the questions on C coding are useful to everyone as similar problems are faced again and again in doing LR scripting.

For this reason, I think that some of the discussion is very appropriate.
    Unless you are writing a compiler, strtok is NOT the answer.
    See: http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...=541641#542222

QAF is still an exercise in self-sufficiency! (Thank JB!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I, too, agree up to a point. But where does one stop with C? It can get pretty ugly down there "on the bare metal" when you start declaring character strings an pointers, for example. And, indeed, my post was prompted by some of the recent posts that clearly indicated that the questioner had no idea at all about the language, other than what they saw generated by VuGen.

Disclaimer: I am a HORRIBLE C programmer. I only came out near top of my training class (many years ago) because it was at community college, and most of my classmates viewed the subject on a par with basket-weaving and basic cookery. And with about as much enthusiasm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I was under the impression that this particular forum was intended to be a helpful resource, where those with more experience or expertise in certain areas are given the opportunity to help those who need it if they so choose. Personally I've found SQAForums extremely helpful and have had interactions with some very friendly members.

C is part of LoadRunner. Do I think this is the place to learn it? Absolutely not...but I also don't think this is the place where inquiries should be met with a condescending 'don't ask your questions here' attitude, especially from a senior member.

I studied C in college as well. This was many (many) years ago and I am admittedly rusty. That being said, if I was given the opportunity to help another member with an issue that is obviously important to them I would. If I was unwilling or unable to do so, I just wouldn't comment on the thread. And I certainly wouldn't start another thread essentially telling them their kind isn't served here. It makes for an unnecessarily unfriendly environment where members could be hesitant to ask a question for fear of rebuke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, that whole topic has been raised before. And it was not my intention to head down that road.

Software QA, which these forums address, is a very large area. Some of the skills needed to be able to be proficient in this field are purely prerequisites, and not part of SQA itself.

To take an out-of-the area example, airline pilots are, I understand, required to speak English. I am sure there are forums out there populated by both pilots and wannabes. Would it be appropriate for such forums to get into advising about English grammar and syntax? I don't think so - there are more appropriate resources for that.

I feel the same way about C and other scripting languages that are general programming languages, and not proprietary to a specific tool. There ARE forums out there for those languages, and the skill of the people who frequent those forums probably exceeds many of us here (in that language, of course).

I have seen a number of questions that show that the questioner has a very limited knowledge of C. I still believe that those questioners need to brush up on basic prerequisites, and not expect these forums to detour into programming constructs.

Your response, cqfinley, appears to indicate that you would not care what the question was that was asked. If you knew an answer, you'd be happy to post it. So where (apart from the obviously left-field Chit-Chat forum) do you draw the line?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't think it would be my place to draw the line, that's a job for a moderator. But if I was forced to, and given that this is a LoadRunner forum, I'd draw that line at topics unrelated to LoadRunner. And C is not unrelated.

As I see it, this type of forum exists so the masses can learn from the experiences, knowledge and expertise of others. If I think I can help someone achieve their goals then yes I'm happy to do so. Do I think anyone here should be teaching basic C coding concepts? No...you and I will agree there. But I'd hate to see your posts drive someone away from this forum, only to have them resolve their issue elsewhere where we as a community won't benefit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    And C is not unrelated &lt;to LoadRunner&gt;

[/ QUOTE ] Nor is setting up a PC to have Administrative rights. But do we need to explain that too, since it is typically required for the Controller and recommended for generators?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Regarding [ QUOTE ]
    ...draw the line, that's a job for a moderator

[/ QUOTE ]
    They do. And they may choose to delete this entire topic. (You will note that I am <u>not</u> a Moderator for this forum.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Nothing wrong with giving some advisories regarding a particular gotcha with see if you note it in their script. Or to suggest a good function to use in their script.

But how do I get started with writing a struct or what does dereferencing do or how do I know that I'm using a reference versus a value parameter...that stuff should definitely be relegated to the wonderful world of the Internet.

I mean, if you've done some due-diligence and you have a quirk here or there in your script code; then maybe someone can help you. If you can even get started because you're clueless as to how C programming works...you could be in big trouble and it might JUST become a C tutorial instead of a LoadRunner scripting forum.
    Eric Jones
    Chief Testing Consultant

ericj@qualitystart.org
    QualityStart.org

http://www.qualitystart.org
    "In Software Testing, The Right Start Is Everything!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast