1. What version of LoadRunner (LR) or PerformanceCenter (PC) are you using?
2. What is the protocol you are recording?
Web (HTTP/HTML) and a bit of AJAX
2.1 If .NET, which version of .NET does the app require? n/a
2.2 If .NET, which version of .NET do you have installed? n/a
2.3 If OracleNCA with Oracle Forms Server, please list the version of Oracle Forms Server. You can get this info from the main Oracle Form when launched - Help -> About
3. If HTML - are you using HTML-Advanced with URLs or,
4. If URL mode:
- Concurrent groups, or
- Without Concurrent groups?
5. Which LoadRunner/PerformanceCenter feature (FPs) or service packs are you using?
6. VuGen Recording - are you using Old or New Recording Engine?
7. Specific Licensed Vuser type
8. Is your support/maintenance contract current and active?
9. What platform(s) (PCs) and Operating Systems (Windows-XP, etc.) are being used for load generators and controllers? Include version and service packs (SP1 or 2, etc.)
All - Server 2003 StdEd SP 2
10. If you have filed a service request with HP/Mercury, what have they told you at this point with respect to your issue?
We have a step in our scripts that requests a "ControlNumber" which is a unique identifier in our database. We may have up to 300 VUsers making the request in a short amount of time, and the system needs to provide a sequential control number to each request.
Under a moderate load, the controlnumber request fails 85% of the time. I'm trying to figure out if this is a bottleneck, or if our scripts are incorrect.
One indicator that the scripts *might* be incorrect is that there is an error message logged to our eventlog that is extremely rare in production, but occurs quite regularly when our scenario is running (each time the control number request fails)
In the GUI, sometimes a controlnumber request may take 10 seconds or so to return with the number. Will a web_submit_data wait for this long for a response? Is this threshold controlled by the "Single setTimeout/setInterval threshold (seconds)"?
I did turn the logging on in Controller, and I can see that the responses from the server for the request are very different. I can't reproduce this behavior in VuGen, only in Controller. VuGen is able to consistently perform the request without any problems. What other things can I do to debug this to figure out if it's a script issue?
your web functions in LR will wait 120 seconds by default. So unless you are encountering timeouts in Vugen logging, dont worry about it.
When a script passes in VuGen but fails in Controller - the following is probably what I would do
Test the script in Vugen for various User ids
Ensure that the Controller access the user ids uniquely and not sequentially. going by what you posted, it appears that user id uniqueness is important in this scenario
It ended up being related to the VUser IDs. We had a consultant recommend using whoami to build the login username, but it ends up that it does not create unique IDs if you are running two instances of the script, as we were to hit two app pools.
The solution ended up being really simple: we used a dat file w/ the usernames, and had the script choose them uniquely, and that works across two instances of a script.